DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hi from T.O.

palika

New to Sigma, new to this forum, new to posting anything anywhere, new to finding my way around sites like this. But, please don't give up. I'm a quick study.
First, Merry (belated) Christmas wishes to everybody (froehliche Weihnachten) and greetings from Toronto (in Ontario, Canada that is, not in Ohio).
I'm Paul, my log-in name to this forum is 'palika' a nickname I have had in my native Hungary. It's rather endearing, wouldn't you say?
Anyway, I acquired a DP2 last October and have been busily accumulating a number of (indispensable) accessories for it since, e.g. a viewfinder, a cable release thingie, a petal-like lens cover, an AC adaptor, a spare battery, a rubber lens hood and a 46-52mm step-up ring. Did I miss anything?
I'm still gunning for a half case somewhere, but not at the price they're selling for. And maybe a macro-lens (the AML-1), although comments I saw about that weren't too enthusiastic.
I shot a few "rolls" (haha!), played a little RAW and I am thoroughly impressed so far.
Why the DP2? I have been looking for a small-sized, but full-featured digicam that I can use alongside my film slr (I scan my negatives). I didn't want any gimmicks, ergo the DP2.
So far, I didn't regret it one bit.
Frankly, I'm baffled by the bile that comes from this little marvel's critics about image processing time, noisy operation, shutter lag, focusing speed etc. Have those people ever driven a stick? Have they ever held a 3 kg heavy all-metal SLR/Medium Format film camera? Do they not see what a huge difference an (almost) full-frame sized sensor makes?
I have to break the posting, because the wife is calling me for dinner.
Will come back tomorrow though.
Best,

P.

Back