DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looks like Sony may be taking a run at Foveon..!!!

tc95

I just saw this on PhotoRumors.com

"Let’s start with Sony – patent application 20090303371 is for a new Sony CMOS sensor based on the Foveon approach – each pixel capture RG&B:

View attachment 1935

“Accordingly, in order to utilize the incident light amount efficiently as well as to prevent occurrence of false colors, a method of separating colors by forming plural photodiodes in a pixel in the depth direction of a substrate has been developed.” Sony is definitely pushing hard in sensor design – as a reference they have ~50 applications in “solid state imaging device” so far this year."

This was taken from www.photorumors.com the PRAdmin put this up....if you would like more information please check out the site....

I thought it was a good article..since I use both Sony and Sigma...!!!
Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• sony-patent-sensor.jpg
    EXIF
    sony-patent-sensor.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 124
This picture is actually showing "related art" - Foveon sensor :)

Sony patents (patent applications actually) main point IMHO is adding "verical gate" - allowing (theoretically) decrease both readout noise and color crosstalk. So have they used their "back-illuminating" approach.

According to some more informed peoples (Joseph, Laurence) opinion on other forum, such sensor design is technologically much more complex than current Foveon design and Fovoen had experimented with vertical gate too, without noticeable success.

Back