DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I would buy an M6. I think it is better value for the money than older models.Personaly I like to have the meter choice in the camera. As for the lens I have just adquiered a Summicron 50mm. Dual range. I think it is an excelent lense and got it for 300 euros. I would recommend it to you.

I too can echo the recommendations of an M6 as a first M body. It is essentially the same body as the M4, but the built in meter generally makes it easier to use. And you are starting to see new old stock (i.e., left overs) M6ttl sell for about $1550-1600 w/ international warranties. I think that would be a great deal.

> I won't argue that a *late* M6 Classic or a TTL is a better value than an > M4, but it's certainly not a better camera. I've had at least a half dozen > Classics, and 2 TTL's of which I still own one. The built-in meters are very > convenient, but not much faster than a clip-on or handheld meter. The AE+lock > in the M7 *is* quicker. Mechanically, a *well adjusted* M4 is a super > performer. Its viewfinder has the same flare-reducing extra lens like the new MP, > but you don't need to suffer the ridiculous twist-knob rewind, and the > preview lever is much bigger and easier to use. I've had an M4 since 1970, and > recently picked up another one, just CLA'd by Kindermann, for $880 on e-Bay. > It's got a number engraved on the baseplate and some meter scratches on the > top, but the strap lugs and vulcanite and shutter curtains are good and after > some tuning-up by me, the shutter speeds are top-notch. My original M4 has > some pecks and dings and a few top scratches too, but again the lugs and > vulcanite and shutter curtains are good and was CLA 'd by DAG about 3 years ago > and the shutter speeds are on the money. To me the M4 is the pinnacle of Leica > M. It has the beautiful engravings and mechanical adjustments from a time > before Leica could lead its buyers with nothing but marketing hype like lambs > to the slaughter. The M4 was made for professional users, before Leicas > became the toys of affluent fondlers and make-believe HCB's.

both 35mm and 50mm are good to use with the M4, M4-2 and M2 VF. M4P has similar VF to M6 (classic)
which is more suited to wider angle lenses.

Hope this helps, craig

>I believe this is the same question you asked yesterday. The answer depends on how close you want to be to your subject. Are you taking pictures of people? Do you want to be in their face or at a discreet distance? Do you plan to shoot in low light often enough that a Summilux is worth owning? In any case, get a 35 and/or a 50. Then a 90. That should do it. You might check out www.cameraquest.com and look at lens information under "Classic Camera Profiles."

Back