DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

I'm a new member and I would value some help.

Beadyeye

Hello everybody. My name is Ray and I'm based in the UK - and I am in a dilemma!

I have been shooting film for a very long time, do some of my own developing and scan and print digitally, with post done in LR3. I am thinking about buying a 501CM, but I am struggling with some of the quality issues of dealing with 120 with my present set up.

A bit of background might help to understand where I am coming from (even if I don't know where I'm going!). I shoot some digital with a Pentax K5 with some quite nice manual lenses - nothing exotic or expensive, but the results are nice, at least to my eyes. I guess that, in some ways, the output from the K5 is something of a benchmark in terms of sharpness, colour, but b&w looks somehow phoney and a bit soulless (a common issue). I also shoot Leica M (b&w and a bit of colour) and scan 35mm negs on a Nikon Coolscan V ED. In the past, I have used Rollei TLRs extensively, when I was wet printing and just love the tonality on the German lenses, but unfortunately I no longer have a Rollei and, anyway, I am attracted to the interchangeability of lenses and backs.

The rot sets in on the scanning of 120 film. My old Epson 2450 is OK up to a point, but if I am to be able to get better results from the 80 Planar and also make the expense of the 501 justifiable, I want to see a real jump in quality in my mono work. Leaving aside the look of film vs digital and the tonality issues, I want to be able to produce more detailed prints than the K5, but with that creamy film look. So the question is what scanner will deliver - without costing an arm and a leg. I know the Epson V700 and V750 are the best of the flatbeds, but frankly, they are not really within budget. Will a V600 cut the mustard, or is there something else that will do? Or am I just asking for the impossible and should stick to either converting RAW digital to b&W and/or the 35mm?! In short, I am after that 'WOW!' factor without breaking the bank!

Would be great to get some learned opinion.

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray

welcome at Hasselbladinfo! I am not an scanner expert. I just read everywhere good reviews of the Epson 700. Have you thought about buying one second hand? I do not know prices of the 600 and a used 700 but maybe they are close enough?

Best wishes

P.S. we just switched forum software and some new structure will be done over the next weeks, so do not be surprised, if something changed suddenly...

Hi Ray , welcome to the Forum. I have done some scanning on a Fexitight scanner and i hired it hourly basic and the best results and cheaper than doing your scanning in a lab.

Hi Ray,
I personally have been using an Epson V750 for my medium format work. A V700 would be fine if you don't need the wet mounting system. I only use it when I absolutely know that I need the negatives perfectly flat. Also the mounting chemicals seem to deteriorate the plastic frame around the glass that's part of the wet mounting system. I've had to buy a new one and I'm sure it won't be my last.

I've printed 30"x30" of a 6x6 negative with the V750. I've also printed quite a few 8x10 and 11x14 photos and it does a great job once you do the appropriate sharpening.

One way to see how people are using their scanners is to do a search on sites like Flickr. Just type in "epson V750" or "V600" in the search field and you'll see how well it works.

Good luck!

Nathan

Back