DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Boy Through Open Lens

notalent

Attachments

• boy.jpg
    EXIF
    boy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 10
  • boy2.jpg
    EXIF
    boy2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
  • boy2-crop.jpg
    EXIF
    boy2-crop.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
Not bad at all,
what lens is it?
Regards
Uwe

Thanks Uwe.

Taking Klaus' advice for a small budget, the lens is a Vivitar 28mm 1:2.5 on m42 adapter, purchased cheap on e-Bay. I wanted something faster than the 18-50mm kit lens for doing portraits without flash in lower light conditions. (Though these two shots could have been done with the kit lens, too.)

Hi Notalent,

congratulations to the VIVITAR. It is a very sharp and fast lens ... very nice to have.

This is mine with the Polish M42-adapter in the foreground. As I told you, it is optically wonderful (even at full aperture). Those who like to work manually will like it a lot. (...though automatic exposure in (A) mode perfectly works with all SIGMAs).

View attachment 1690

Here another low budget / high image quality recommendation:

REVUENON: 135mm / F:2.8

View attachment 1691

Your pictures:

Nicely done ... I like pic 2 best! Just one thing:

Watch your colours. your white balance does not really hit the nail! :)

Compare:

View attachment 1692 View attachment 1693

Colours should be balanced from too much yellow to more blue ... for my taste. Skin tones in particular say "thank you". ;)

Go on shooting!!

See you with nice (and affordable!) pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 5.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 5.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 6.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 6.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 3
  • boy2.jpg
    EXIF
    boy2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • boy2b.jpg
    EXIF
    boy2b.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 8
Girl through 50mm REVUENON F: 1.9

Me again ....

another low budget / high image quality recommendation is the above mentioned M42 lens. It is anextremely sharp and very fast lens that can really compete with modern stuff.

The early REVUENON 50/1.9 was later in the 70s replaced by a 1.8 version.

Since I do not have the 1.8 ... I rather recommend the early 1.9 ... it's brilliant.

SD14 / Girl through the REVUENON 1.9 / 50

View attachment 1695 View attachment 1696

Be very careful with anything faster than 1.7!! Most of the old 1.4 lenses are expensive and bad ... not worth the money.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 11.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 11.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 7
  • crop.jpg
    EXIF
    crop.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks very much, Klaus. My picture looks much better with correct white balance! I'll pay closer attention from now on.

Also, the Revuenon advice is timely because I've sold my otherwise useless Pentax K-mount SMC 50mm 1.4 so I could buy an m42 in 50mm. The 135mm looks attractive too.

And you took such a beautiful picture with your Revuenon.

Regards,

Back