DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Who is the first with the K10D

For a plethora of hands-on impressions of the K10D, subscribe to PDML.net. PDML is a long-time Pentax diswcussion group which generates 100 or so messages each day. At one time it was sponsored by Pentax USA, but is now an independent group.

Ed

I received my k10d on 27 December. It was sent to me by a relative in the US who had bought it online. But have not yet read the manual fully, and still learning how to operate the camera. Looking forward to a lot of enjoyable hours with the k10d.

I've had my k10d for about a month now. I'm really happy with the camera's performance. I am having some issues with SD cards 3 have gone bad on me in the last month. I hoping that this is a issue with the manufacturer of the cards and not the fault of the camera. The images do seem to be a bit on the soft side but this may be the fault of the 28-200 lens I've mainly been using.

there the cards that are are marketed by the camera store 1gb foto source cards. I bought them due to the lifetime warrantee that was offered with them. turns out it was the cards, they've had all kinds of problems. I've since exchanged them for san disk extreme cards no problems yet.

Thanks for the information. I always use 2GB Sandisk Extreme III. I never had problems. Neither with CF cards, nor with SD cards.

So how about your first "feelings" with the K10D after you can actually shoot now with it? Image, noise, flash etc.

I am curious!

The K10D is the best $1000.00 I've spent. It's a real deal for the amount of camera that you get. I almost always shoot in raw mode and keep the menu settings flat for the sharpness, contrast,picture mode, etc. I found that adjusting these can help in some cases I would much rather do these sort of changes in post processing on a calibrated monitor rather than guessing on a 2.5 LCD just personal preference.
noise is handled pretty good up till iso 1600. I have noticed some banding in images taken at 1600. but for the most part 1600 is still usable for prints with some noise filtering for smaller prints.
I haven't been using the built in flash all that much due to the fact that the lens I usually have on my camera is the sigma 28-200 3.5-5.6 which has a front thread of 72mm. It tends to cast a shadow so I tend to use a speed light when I do flash photography with this lens. but in the times that I've used it with my smaller primes it does a descent job, lots of adjustments availiable in the easy to access funtion menu.
The build quality is solid on this camera it doesn't have that plasticy feel that some of the dslrs have, yet doesn't have that fat pig feel of the 30d.
focusing seems to be good but low light seems to give it a bit of a problem but that could also be the mediocre glass that I'm using.
I am completly blown away by the SR function for this camera. I can forsee my tripod finding a lonely corner in the basement.
This camera is the first camera that I'm not looking at other models after I've purchased it thinking "oh if my camera only had this feature". It will be a long time before I have camera envy again, lens envy, well that's another story...

Back