DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Marc,
The store that had the black paint summicron had just gotten them in yesterday (Monday). The design of the lens was the same but it had the old syle round metal shade and a metal lens cap. Apparently they had other lenses in the black paint also, but I didn't see any others. It was really nice looking, somewhat tempting but I'm pretty happy with the one I got. It's great.

Mark

Marc & Mark;

I also got a chance to see the new black paint 35mm Summicron ASPH. Very nice finish with red painted numbers. Of course, all of that is just cosmetics. Any of the 35mm 'cron ASPH in any finish are fantastic performers.

The retailer also assumed that these new black finish lenses are to go with the new black paint MP. There's nothing on the packaging or the lens that states this, but I suppose they would be a nice match.

- Marco

Justin

Just a question about the M7 VF. When you say the new improved version has now been retrospectively put into the M7, is that the same as the MP version? Or, was the original M7 VF the same as the M6 design?

craig

Dear Craig,

To correct the record, I did not say the improved viewfinder has been retrospectively put into the M7.

What I said was: "I have been advised by Herr Pilet at Leica Camera AG that from # 2 850 XXX the M7 is fitted with the same viewfinder as the MP".

Trusting the above clears up any misunderstanding.

Justin

Thanks Justin

That does put me in the picture. Sorry my wording was a little loose, I didn't mean to misquote.

My understanding was that the orig. M7 had certain VF features which that were an improvement on the M6. And that the MP view finder was more or less redisgned to correct the faults of earlier models ie. RF patch flairing with M4P & M6.

The M7 I've looked at a while ago has a much brighter VF than the M6, but I don't know the serial #. I've an M7 on order and was just interested. Was more interested in the advantages of an electronic shutter than anything else. But if it comes with the MP type VF I shall be very happy. That is if the propaganda is correct.

Thanks again Craig

I'm gearing up for my first leica purchase, which I'm very excited about. I've settled on the magnification (.72) and my first lens (35mm f2) but cannot stop going back and forth between bodies: M7 or MP. The MP felt right in my hands, I couldn't put it down at the counter. I don't need the TTL of the M7, but I'm worried that the aperature priority would help me capture opportunies that I would otherwise miss. I generally shoot manual exposure, but with reportage, which is what I want to focus on, I've relied heavily on aperature priority it at times and I just don't know if not having that option is a significant handicap for a total leica beginner. I know this a hard thing to advise on, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd so appreciate it.
Thanks in advance...

[ I've relied heavily on aperature priority it at times and I just don't know if not having that option is a significant handicap for a total leica beginner. I know this a hard thing to advise on, but if anyone has any thoughts I'd so appreciate it. ] >

Hi,

I understand your situation totally! I started with an M6 and loved it, a fantastic camera. However, I switched to the M7 soon after it came out because I really missed having aperture-priority AE. I use the AE as second nature - find the middle-grey area of the scene, lock exposure, recompose and shoot. I find my exposures are MUCH more consistent than when I shot with the M6, and I am much more likely to bring the M on a shoot where I know I'll be rushed, or need the highest degree of spontaneity. Even if the light is variable or inconsistent, I can rely on the M7.

If you shoot lenient film (negative films) and / or in consistent lighting, then the manual exposure of the MP is great, hardly a need for the automation of the M7. However, I like to shoot slide film in highly variable conditions, and I tended to miss exposure too often with the M6. The M7 and my simple AE-lock system works wonders - and the M7 tells you the selected shutter speed in the VF, so you can readily see if you can hold the shot. Also, I tend to shoot wide-open, or close to it, so I don't futz with the aperture much.

Others are able to nail the exposure with the M6 (or an M4 with no meter for that matter!) with no problem, but I was never able to get as reliable as I would have liked - I guess that is what I get for learning with an OM-2 (aperture-preferred AE is awesome on that camera too).

Another note: if you are new to rangefinders, the focusing switch from an SLR is significant, and having one less thing to worry about (metering) could help you concentrate on focusing accurately. It took me many months to get used to focusing the M6 such that I could get what I wanted in sharp focus with an aperture of 1.4 or 2 - it is very different from SLR focusing! Now, focusing is pretty much automatic, metering is (really) automatic, and I get more of the shots I want. It's when I go back to the SLR that I get slowed down :)

One good note: you cannot really go wrong either way! Both MP and M7 are quite capable cameras, but the M7 can always be used in manual mode, whereas the MP cannot be used in automatic mode. There are the battery issues too - M7 needs 'em more, though I have had success with dead batteries on the M7 too, lucky guessing and a 1/60th shutter speed. Oh, and the TTL flash can come in handy, though it is considered heretical on an M by many (not me, I use my M7 and flash for snapshots all the time).

I hope all this rambling helps in some way. Bottom line, think about how you use cameras, and how you want to use the M. Don't forget that you will take actual pictures, not just fondle the thing!

Best of luck, - marc

Marc,
I do tend to shoot primarily b&w neg, although in sometimes inconsistent lighting. Many of my applications would seemingly call for the M7, but the MP has some strange grip on me... I will really re-think useage. Appreciate the reply.

And Jon, how's the MP?

Jamey

The standard Leica manual camera exposure readout (in both MP and M7) is so simple and quick to use, once you have played with it for a while and gotten used to it. The percentage of time that you will actually need AE will most probably decline.

In practice I personally find the Leica metering system not that much slower than auto-go-magic. Moreover, the Leica Ms tend to make you more aware of your working environment than other cameras (even some of the new range finders) I'm from the school that believes to get the most of what the Leica Ms have to offer as an image making tool you need to adjust your working methods to the machine. With modern 35mm camera technology we become more reliant on functions which tends to promote a tunnel vision when working. The Ms don't give you that luxury. If you work that way save your spondoolies and stick with the Nikon, contax, voigtlander or whatever.

For outdoors photography when you are aware of what the light is doing it becomes second nature to adjust for it and only use the inboard read out as a quick check. I too shoot mostly neg. but the situation of course changes with slide film and AE become quite handy.

Interestingly the big SS dial on the M7 makes it easier to adjust for exposure more rapidly. So I suppose AE becomes less relevant. The MP has gone back to the traditional SS dial configuration, which some find slower and less convieniant

For me focussing is the slowest part of image making so when speed is important I rely on prefocus using the DoF scales on the lens.

Life was easier when we only had the M6 to choose from, you either wanted it or you stayed with your trusty M3.

To paraphrase marc I hope these ramblings are also of some help to you.

best wishes Craig

Back