DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Tom

I would seriously kook at a waste leavel MF for inconsicuous street photography. C Bresson could get away with a leica because everybody else had bulky sheet film press cameras in his hay day. I've been caught out many times simply lifting the M3 to my eye. The old Rollei TTLs are worth a look at for this sort of photography. For sure, it can be done with a Leica M but you have to be very skilled (which I'm sure you are)an totally coversant with handing the Leica. If you haven't used one before it may take some time getting in the groove. Once you are there the money you spend will be worth it! Leicas are never a waist of money provided hardwear suits your style.
I must laugh a little over concerns on Leica prices. Here in the south pacific I will probably have to fork out about $Aus 6000 for an MP. And they are just as hard to earn as they are in the US.

Hope these suggestions are of help regards craig

hope this helps

Correection Rollei TTL should read TTR

sorry

I might add that if the camera you purchas does the job for you you are likely to be happy, then the cost is soon forgotten. The M7, from what I've read, seems as though it is a great platform for repotage photography

Best wishes Craig J. Smith

"Correection Rollei TTL should read TTR"

I think you mean TLR

regards Simon

Dear Craig,

Even though you and I live here in the south Pacific (Melbourne) it is still possible to buy from civilisation. I use Foto-Hobby in Frankfurt, fast courteous and helpfull with competitive prices.

Regards,

Justin

I was wondering if anyone had information on the first M7 revision. I've heard about what is supposedly covers but not any expected arrival date.... ?

Thanks very much.

> What "M7 Revisions?" I hadn't heard about any such thing. What did I miss?

"What M7 Revisions?"

Supposedly the film canister will be somewhat easier to extract, the dot that blinks the entire time you're on a manually set ISO will be altered, and the third thing I heard about was the ISO dial won't be so easy to accidentally move into exposure compensation. I had read a few rumors and asked a fairly reliable source who confirmed. I don't know anything else, however. I was hoping someone else might.

S.W.
If what you want is a camera that is inconspicous and quiet, the Leica definitely is a great choice. I understand the cost concern, it's scary, but sometimes you have to spend more for a tool that fits the task. How do you know for sure if the Leica is right for you? It's a personal choice, only experiece will tell you that. I'd go for it, I doubt you will be disappointed. You have to decide what your priority is, cost or quietness and being inconspicous. There have also been other camera suggestions posted here that would work great without spending so much. Check them out also. One thing that I think is great about the Leica for someone starting out is the manual focus and metering. You learn more about light and film and making concious choices about how you want your photo to look and feel. Great for developing your own style. Please keep in mind that getting a different or more expensive camera will not instantly make anyone into a great photographer. That part has to come from inside you. And it takes a lot of time, a lot of shooting. Every photographer takes a lot of bad pictures. Eventually the ratio of good to bad shots comes around to your favor. Any camera you choose will take time getting used to, don't switch again too soon. What you need is a tool that eventually is so comfortable with what and how you shoot that all the mechanics involved are second nature. You're able to concentrate on what you're seeing without being distratcted by the camera. Again, that takes time, patience, and a lot of shooting. Shoot what you truly love, not what you think you should love. It sounds like you are already on that path. Above all HAVE FUN. Good luck, keep us posted on what you come up with.

Mark Luinenburg

Mark Luinenburg,

I have being toying with the idea of buying an M7 although I am a very poor though keen photographer.

What you have just written is probably the most inspiring piece of advice I have ever read in favour of parting so much money for a camera. I have been dithering for the past 5 months on whether, as a relative novice, I can justify parting with such an obscene amount of cash - you finally convinced me.

What do you think is the best choice of lens for me given that I'm new to this?

Best regards and many thanks for the advice from the Englishman in Boston, USA

Tony Rook

"What do you think is the best choice of lens for me given that I'm new to this?"
-Tony Rook

1. What focal length are you used to / comfortable with, in using your other camera(s)?
2. What kind of pictures do you want to shoot?
3. What kind of imagery most inspires you?

Most people suggest either a 35mm or 50mm on a 35mm rangefinder. I'm inclined to agree. I think the 35 is probably best for general purposes on a rangefinder, although with SLRs, i'm more comfortable with 50mm.

I started with an M7 two months ago, and the first lens was a 50mm lux. I then, immediately, bought a 35 cron. And, just a week ago, a 21mm Voigtlander. For longer than 50mm, i'll use a Contax SLR.

But, you should look at the work you've done, and the work you see yourself doing in the future. Those considerations should dictate a choice of lenses. Then, when you've decided on a focal length, you can choose between 'crons, 'luxes, Voigtlanders, Konicas, Zeiss, etc....

Back