DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

E500 lens adaptor

J

Jogos

Is it possible to purchase a lens adaptor for my E500, which will enable me to use lenses designed for other DSLR's e.g. Nikon,Canon. If so, will the auto focus still work?

> Hi Jo. It may be possible to get lens adaptors but I doubt they will > be very satisfactory or that the full range of features will be > maintained. The E system cameras are 4 thirds which is unique to > Olympus and the lenses are very high quality. Sigma make cheaper > lenses but they are less sharp. I have bought a lens mount adaptor for > old Olympus OM lenses but the auto focus does not work and exposure is > not accurate as with digital lenses. In general, you have a good > system with the E500 and you would be best advised sticking to the > lenses designed for the E system.

> Hello Olympians, This is my first contribution to the Forum.

I've purchased an adapter for my C/Y (MF-)lenses. It works pretty well. At least I'm making use of 'old', dear lenses like 1.7/50mm.

I've bought it from http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm Mr Stephen Gandy sells: "Olympus 4/3 Lens Adapters to Olympus and Panasonic 4/3 Bodies $175: for Contax/Yashica, Nikon, Olympus OM, Leica R, Leica Visoflex, Pentax 42 Screw Mount, Pentax K, Minolta MD, Rollei SL, Exakta, and Topcon Lenses".

In my experience: Beware that the light meter will not be as exact as with E-lenses. Only pictures taken with apertures taken within aperture range between F 4,0 and F 8.0 will be exposed more or less correctly. (See also the OMring comments on Olympus's official site...) At working aperture the viewfinder image will also become darker! And focusing gets difficult.

On the other hand, a 50mm lens becomes a 100mm lens that can be focuse3d down to 0,45m!

Peter

Back