DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DOF in the ESystem ex&les vs others

I, too, would like greater control over depth of field - but not enough to go to the larger, noisier, not as well built, polyester-smooth-image-producing Canons. ;-)

Is there any chance that the whole depth of field issue could become mute is someone makes a plugin for Photoshop that can duplicate that will take care of this. Does anyone know Photoshop and computers well enougth to say if this is a real possability or not?

Adam

> [It is quite possible to create shallow DOF in Photoshop. You make a > duplicate of the background layer, select the part you want out of > focus on the top layer, (using the pen tool and/or the Extract filter, > delete it to see the bottom layer, and Gaussian blur the bottom layer > to the effect you need. Finally collapse layers to save the image. > (It is a good idea to keep the layers as a copy until all is OK'ed.). > It is a lot of work though compared to taking the shot, so for > specific photos that you are taking seriously.]

Thx Richard. Far too much work for me who generally likes to shoot a good 80% of my subjects with minimum depth of field on bright lenses BUT as you have explained it is possible. My hope would be that in time this will become as easy as a pre defined filter that I could apply to all pictures I took to give me the look I was after (or used to).

While on the topic of Photoshop, are there filters available that will duplicate the look of particular types of film (B&W Grain, or Ilford XP2 grainless dye, Kodak NC etc?)

Adam

> [There is a filter in Photoshop called Blur>lens blur which appears to > have a dof amount, but I have yet to work out how best to use it. You > can introduce as much 'noise' as you like to replicate grain. There > are people who make all sorts of filters for Photoshop users, but I > have not come across what you describe. Use the channel mixer > monochrome to convert to black and white. > ]

Back