Why Canon at all

Discussion in 'Canon' started by dirk, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Stevied

Stevied Guest

Hi, I bought the Digital Rebel because a semi professional friend recommended it to me, while I am new to what I term serious photography I have been thrilled with its performance and I think you can safely say I am now well and truely "hooked"

2. charliem

charliem Member

steve,
    photography is fun, if you like it, enjoy it.
    try different lenses, the subjects you like, landscapes, travel portraits, kids, nudes or anything else YOU like.

3. chris_jones

chris_jones Guest

Bought a 20D as for the money it was reviewed as having the best high ISO performance, this is important as I mainly photograph punk bands on dark stages. Didn't want a camera that was physically too large, don't want to be too conspicuous either in the venue or walking around town. 8Mp allows me to crop easily which is good as I often need an f1.4 lens and only the 50mm is affordable with this aperture. I knew similar photographers using 10D so couldn't really go wrong.

4. myklmyk

myklmyk Guest

I chose Canon accidentally. But I remained with them through the years, even after testing and using other brands of slrs. Each time I concluded that Canon made their functions more intuitively, designed their bodies much more comfortably. And most important (I won't name their biggest competitor) imitation is the biggest form of flattery. I've noticed slowly someone elses placement of functions, and more notably the recent usage of CMOS imaging processors in their digital cameras is slowly becomming Canon's 'already yesterday innovations'. i love what canon is all about...never looking back.

5. charliem

charliem Member

I'm with you mark ! S50 to Digital Rebel to 20D.

Charlie

6. barusco

barusco New Member

I'm not a professional photographer. But I've used/owned different brands of digicams through the years (kodak, olympus, sony) but it is only after using my uncle's canon camera (canon A400) that I was realy impressed with the resulting pictures. And after that I bought a Canon A95 for myself the following day and I've been having a lot of fun experimenting with it.[​IMG]

7. lensdude

lensdude Member

The first slr I used belonged to the high school arts department and it was a Pentax K1000. I learned early on that a camera is nothing more than a light tight box with a lens attached and began thinking of it as a tool to recreate on film what I saw with my naked eye. Then when I had earned enough money from my after school job to buy a slr I went shopping. There wasn't a specific camera or even one manufacturer that I was looking for, but rather a camera that felt good in my hands. I found a Canon A-1 with a 50mm f/1.4 lens at a pawn shop that I was able to negotiate down to $340. That was in 1978 so that would be like $2000 in today's dollars when adjusting for my weekly wage and how hard I had to work to earn that much. My A-1 proved to be a great camera and had even more features than the Canon F-1. Over the next 10 years I had accumulated 7 or 8 FD lenses so buying a T90 in '88 was a natural progression. When AF came out I couldn't believe the camera world was making such a big deal about something that was not the least bit necessary. The day finally came when I needed an AF camera housed inside a sound-proof blimp for shooting production stills on movie sets. The EOS 620 and a USM 35-105mm I bought with it worked perfectly. A few years after that I bought a Canon 28-135mm IS lens for the blimp and realized that if it weren't for the invention of AF they couldn't have developed the image stabilization technology. Of course when Canon came out with the eye controlled EOS 50e (Elan IIe) I bought one and was thoroughly impressed with everything Canon had provided me over the years. Digital? Well I'm still testing the waters because the best ones still have room for improvement and the price will come down around the $4000 mark. For now the 300D will do for the few applications that it is needed for. It is especially more user friendly since applying the firmware hacks from Wasia and the Undutchables. My latest purchase is a Canon 20-35mm, simply beautiful images and photos... EF-S BAH!!

8. fotografz

fotografz Well-Known Member

They should never have discontinued the 20-35/2.8L!

9. marlis

marlis New Member

I have recently bought a Canon G6 because my Nikon Coolpix died on me suddenly.
    I was desperate to find a new camera and the choice was easy once I held the Canon in my hands. It is small, lightweight, easy to set and operate,- and I like the picture quality.
    I do a lot of hiking and the weight and size is important for me, as most semi-professional cameras are too big, too heavy and cumbersome to carry for an extended time. Been there, done it![​IMG]
    So, for me it is a Canon G6.
    Marialuisa

10. ejohnw

ejohnw New Member

Back in the days when I used film I always shot Nikon. My first introduction into digital was an Olympus C-2100UZ fondly known as the Uzi. When I progressed on from the Uzi to DSLR, I liked the idea of immage stabilization (which the Uzi had) and Canon was the leader at that time. A friend and co-worker was selling his Canon D30 and I bought it. It has since been replaced with a 20D.
    Would I go the same route today. Now Nikon produces many lenses with stabilization and offer some nice choices in their DSLR line, so I don't know.
    But I don't regret having taken the Canon path.

11. mikedk

mikedk Guest

The first camera I can remember having was a big white plastic Polaroid which took small b&w images; that was back in the 60's. I think I got it for Christmas. Since then I've went through so many SLR's; Prakticas, Zeniths, Topcons etc., but could never afford the more expensive Nikons or Canons. My first Canon was an EOS 10, the 1990 1,000,000th Canon commemoration model. I still have it and it still takes fantastic photos. The 35-135 mk1 lens gives outstanding results. The 10 and the cumulative assembly of things Canon set the scene for Canon now being my main marque. I've had a second EOS 10, a 30, a 5, a 300D and now a 10D which with my 17-40L never ceases to amaze me with the overall versatility and image quality of the combination. Personally, I would rate the 10D over the 20D which I've also used quite a lot. It consistently takes better images, and handles difficult lighting situations better. That's my pennysworth.[​IMG]

12. elmolise

elmolise Member

<font face="arial,helvetica">The reason I chose Canon is because someone decided to steal my Olympus OM4. I have to say the OM4 has a superior metering system. But IMO the FD lenses are superior. Hopefuly I will be able to use the A1 for a longer period of time.

13. piece

piece Member

I chose my 30D for it's 5 frames per section and quick manual controls at the top (I need them for my photojournalism). I chose Canon because of their superior AF in their L lenses when compared to Nikon, as well as their noise to signal advantage at high ISOs.

14. kamera

kamera Member

My entry into the realm of SLR was with a Minolta SRT 101 and over the years have added to that system (all MF) and still use them today.

At the time I chose the Minolta over the Pentax K1000 and the Canon FTB. Basically due to price and the recommendation of an acquaintance.

Years later, I added Nikon which I still use today.

And 4 years ago started a stable of Canon...all used...FT, F1, 1N and A2e.

I actually like all 3 brands and alternately use them as time permits. It is hard to spread around the usage.

Have many, many different brands on display...consider myself an 'accumulater' rather than a 'collector' though. Many of them still work and 'cry for daddy to use them also'.

I am what can be called a 'semipro' in that I do work for $$ but it is not my livelyhood. It is a passion with a camera and still the use of film...I have not yet turned digital except for the 'digital darkroom'.

Cheers and happy shooting everyone! [​IMG]

15. Bassman

Bassman New Member

When I decided to jump into the digital world I researched all the different brands & Canon came out on top with all the features I was looking for. Canon also seemed to have a wider variety of lenses.

16. 4 all formats

4 all formats Member

I started with a Canon FT (a very expensive purchase for my father) while in high school and attended Photo Expo '71 held at McCormick Place in Chicago. I saw the Canon F-1 system introduced there and was hooked! WOW motor drive, finders, 250 film chamber, and large collection of open metering lenses. This was it - what other advances could ever be made? Well at least I though (at 16) that technology had reached its peak. OK so I was hooked on a system but when a photographer begins a substantial investment in that camera system it is logical that they continue to stay with that brand. Extending the use of lenses and accessories. I remember the expensive switch from FD lenses to EF mounts and how disappointed I was when this occurred. The Canon representative (without revealing the future) just told me that it has to be the change for the future. That's it for an explanation - well I thought if I have to sell my gear I might as well switch to Nikon that will teach Canon a lesson. I sold some items but kept a few including my Canon FT (which I still have) and purchased an EOS-1. Thirty years later after the switch to EF lenses I have a Canon 1D X. Still happily using Canon and yes the lens change did have to occur. The bottom line is: The equipment works and is dependable, you’re comfortable using it, the results meet your standards and those of your client and your investment can be amortized.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rronaldson

rronaldson Active Member

I see that it's been a couple of years since the last post to this part of the forum. I've used Canon equipment since I bought my FTb in the distant mists of time. During the intervening time I've used most of the film cameras they produced and on into the EOS era. I've carried on into EOS digital, my first one being a 350D and my last and current one a 5D. Being so heavy it doesn't get so much use now. Oddly I never tried the Canon digital compacts but used Fuji and Panasonic models. I still have and use a couple of Fujifilm cameras and am recently updating my Panasonic models. I have toyed with other makes and briefly strayed into using Minolta film cameras. I've never had a Nikon camera apart from a digital compact which I never could get on with and I've never owned an Olympus camera. I got into Micro 4/3 cameras (Panasonic) as they were the first digital cameras that I could use my Canon FL and FD lenses. I do have some Sony(Minolta) gear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Graf_Dieter

Graf_Dieter Member

Analog, I use Canon A1 and new F1. Digital I started with Kodak 6490 and changed to Nikon D90 because of my son. Then in the beginning to fotograph for You must be logged in to see this link. I changed to D700. But this camera was to loud. So i changed again to the quiet Canon 5DM3. It was like home coming, becaus the handling was the same like by the analogs.
    Now, I'm happy, I'm at "home", she is quiet and I' ve never heard again somebody complains the klick-noise from my camera.

19. rronaldson

rronaldson Active Member

I've bought some more Canon gear since my last comments. In a mad moment I bought a Canon 6D mainly cos it has live view on the LED screen but it's as large and heavy, it seems, as my 5D so probably will hardly be used. I have also dabbled with EOS-M cameras having an original EOS-M and an EOS-M6, a rare purchase of a new camera. Most of my camera equipment is second-hand (used). I do like the small size of the M range and I can also use my EOS lenses on them via an adapter.

I said that I'd not consider a Canon R as I didn't want to buy into another lens mount although I believe that you can use the Canon EF lens on them with an adapter. At the moment, though, they are unaffordable for me. Anyway I really have too many cameras and don't use them enough :(

20. dirk

dirk CI-Founder

You are really into it :D

How many cameras do you have?