DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which version & how old my elmarit 35mm

oren1972

Hello
I just recieved an elmrit 35mm and i would like to know according to serial no. what is the version of this lense & how old.
I have heard that the second & third version of this lense is better.(Elmarit 2.8 35mm No.2410638
Thanks Oren

Oren, you appear to have a late second version [with two cams] of the 35mm/f2.8 Elmarit, introduced by Leica in 1964 and listed in the catalogue as #11201.
Jim Lager's "Illustrated History'' of the Leica, Vol. II [lenses], says the first version [#11101] is a seven-element [single-cam] lens, introduced with the Leicaflex in 1964. By 1968, with the introduction of the Leicaflex SL, Lager says, the second version, catalogued as #11201, came with two cams. Both versions, he adds, are "regarded as excellent general-purpose wide-angle lenses for the Leica reflex cameras.''
He notes that many of these early models are used today on the latest R models after their return to Leitz to install the third cam. He further adds that in late 1973, in a third version, Leitz recomputed the lens, starting with Serial No. 2,517,851, still catalogued as #11201, "with improved contrast and definition.''
Then, he notes, E. Leitz, Inc., of New Jersey, announced a compact version, #11231, "optically identical" to the earlier design. The lens, he said, is currently listed as #11251 and is "only for Leica R cameras.'' [Each model has other changes dealing with the lens hood and the size of the filters.} -- bob cole

Back