DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Checking Flash compatibility???

I have another Flash to use until I check the broken one.
It's a COBRA 700AF ....even this have many years without use ...Risk??

In any case, can I have confirm ....if, it will be always safe using any flash that have voltage lower or even to the original brand flash?
(Mean.... Sigma original flash unit makes 5.9v, so can I use any other flash with lower voltage?)

In any case, can I have confirm ....if, it will be always safe using any flash that have voltage lower or even to the original brand flash?
(Mean.... Sigma original flash unit makes 5.9v, so can I use any other flash with lower voltage?)

Low voltage is fine. High voltage is not.

According Strobevolt, the Cobra 700AF is safe at 4.4 volt.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes, you can use any flash unit showing a lower voltage in the hotshoe.The 6 volt or 12 volt upper limits that set manufacturers are the limits that the camera can stand. Using lower voltage flashes ensure that your camera cannot be damaged. Most of modern ones should be safe. The problem is for the older ones, that do not have a thyrystor unit to close the the trigger circuit inside the flash and can show voltages of hundreds of volts.

If the flash unit has not been used for years, you are in the risk of a dry electrolytic capacitor. Test the unit out of the camera, let the flash be running for a while, shot several times, and if nothing else happens, you can use it.

Regards.

Jes.
[/FONT]

Ok, I just finish to repair my Flash Centon, I found the wires of the Big Capacitor, in a point both wires was stripped and dark of burn (too much cable movement near a piece of sharp plastic).
I replace wires with stronger one, and now is working great

....voltage is stable at 4.90v and not 5~6v like on other flash web site.

I will test it better tomorrow, On Off flash - On Off flash - On Off flash....

:)

Ok, I just finish to repair my Flash Centon, I found the wires of the Big Capacitor, in a point both wires was stripped and dark of burn (too much cable movement near a piece of sharp plastic).
I replace wires with stronger one, and now is working great

....voltage is stable at 4.90v and not 5~6v like on other flash web site.

I will test it better tomorrow, On Off flash - On Off flash - On Off flash....

:)

Congrats!, and thanks for sharing.

Jes.

Non Sigma Flash for SD14

I use Metz 36C-2 for my SD14, works good for gathering. a little bit small guide number (power)
Needed to adjust the Zoom Head for distant change, the traditional auto sensor work's fine on Manual shooting. 3 aperture user selectable setting.
ISO 200 2.8, 5.6 and 11.

So the Metz you are using is reported at 6 volts and works fine, thanks for sharing ....makes me more sure that the SD14 can reach 6 volts flash units.

Thanks, Bustoner

Back