DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Checking Flash compatibility???

Bustoner

Hi everybody,

I have a good flash I was using on my old Canon,
a Centon FG105D

attachment.php

I need to know how to check if it will work properly, without burning out my camera ....or if somebody knows where to find a list of compatibility, I can't find anything.

The flash fits good on the mount, but I don't have confidence to turn it on.

Attachments

• centon-fg105-d.jpg
    EXIF
    centon-fg105-d.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 87
Hi everybody,

I have a good flash I was using on my old Canon,
a Centon FG105D

attachment.php

I need to know how to check if it will work properly, without burning out my camera ....or if somebody knows where to find a list of compatibility, I can't find anything.

The flash fits good on the mount, but I don't have confidence to turn it on.

Don't switch on it may fry the camera.
Check voltage output here. http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/
Although the pin configuration canon/sigma is the same iirc other things may not be.

There are lots of non-Sigma flashguns that can be used on the SD14...I use Metz 54mz-3.

According the Photo Strobe Trigger page ( http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html ) your CENTON FG105D is volatage safe with the modern DSLRs. Probably you won't be able to use it in TTL mode (if that flash has it), but in manual and automatic modes will work fine. I use a Vivitar 550FD with no problems at all.

Regards,

Jes.

Thanks for all your advise

...but I found a strange problem with my Centon, when I was try to check with voltmeter, the voltage is even lower, 4,60v (and not 5~6v) ...but the strange situation happens when I was click to make a flash test, it makes normal light and a "BANG" sound, and a little smell of burn, then nothing works anymore ...but after I turn it off and wait 30 sec. then turned ON, now is working again and fine, without BANG ....this makes me scary if it happens again, worse if fitted on the SD14.

I don't know what to do, maybe better change the capacitor inside?

Thanks for all your advise

...but I found a strange problem with my Centon, when I was try to check with voltmeter, the voltage is even lower, 4,60v (and not 5~6v) ...but the strange situation happens when I was click to make a flash test, it makes normal light and a "BANG" sound, and a little smell of burn, then nothing works anymore ...but after I turn it off and wait 30 sec. then turned ON, now is working again and fine, without BANG ....this makes me scary if it happens again, worse if fitted on the SD14.

I don't know what to do, maybe better change the capacitor inside?

What you tell is usually a broken electrolytic capacitor that burns, it happens on electrolytic capacitors when they have been a long time without use and the electrolite dries. The same happens when you apply a voltage to the capacitor much higher than the rated one.
You should bring the flash to be serviced. If you say the flash is still working after this, probably the faulty capacitor is not the main one (the big one that stores the energy to light the flash). Since flashes generate high voltages inside, I won't risk the camera putting on a flash that has shown the behaviour you tell.

Has been that flash a long time without use?,

Regards.

Jes.

Thanks Jesito,

yes, it's about 4 years that flash never been used.

I think next days with some time, I will try open and check with my nose and a straw where the smell come from (Knowing the big risk of shock)

and maybe I will replace one or more capacitor anyway.

You're welcome.
The capacitor should be easy to spot: it should be open and a nasty looking brown paste coming from inside...

Good luck with the fixup!

Regards.

Jes.g

Back