DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The DA*50-135mm/f2.8

newmikey

The DA*50-135 has been with me since 2008 (I believe I puchased it at the same time as my K100D-Super) and they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, never going to let it go. It is one of the sharpest, fastest-focusing lenses in my lineup and it has gorgeous bokeh too. I know some people have had bad luck with the SDM but (knock on wood) the lens hasn't failed me yet. Today, I mounted it on my KP to go for my daily doggy walk in the local park.

resized_neg1.jpg

resized_neg2.jpg

resized_neg3.jpg
resized_neg4.jpg
resized_neg5.jpg

The rendering is quite nice. I'm waiting for the upcoming DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 PLM. I'll snap one up as soon as it's released. :daumenhoch-smilie:

You and me both :)
I actually find myself drifting more and more towards the more extreme ranges of my lens collection such that anything mid-range sadly gets a bit neglected. So my Sigma 8 -16 sees a lot of action, as does the Irirx 30mm and on the other side the DA 55-300PLM (sometimes even on the HD DA 1.4x) and the Irix 150mm macro. The DA*50-135mm is allowed to enjoy its 15 year seniority over almost everything else in my arsenal and I'll take the "old lady" out sparingly. I don't think I'd splurge on the PLM version when it gets there.

My compact travel "throw it in a bag an go" kit is the 16-85 on the KP and the 55-300 in a small pouch but when I have no space or weight restrictions I'll lug both of my f1.4 primes (Sigma 85mm Irix 30mm) along. The DA*50-135 always walks proudly alone, with purpose and no other lenses to bother it:), she deserves the extra attention to detail (pun intended!).

The DA*50-135 has been with me since 2008 (I believe I puchased it at the same time as my K100D-Super) and they will have to pry it out of my cold dead hands, never going to let it go. It is one of the sharpest, fastest-focusing lenses in my lineup and it has gorgeous bokeh too. I know some people have had bad luck with the SDM but (knock on wood) the lens hasn't failed me yet. Today, I mounted it on my KP to go for my daily doggy walk in the local park.

View attachment 144

View attachment 145

View attachment 146View attachment 147View attachment 148
I've had mine since 2009; I do agree about the sharpness, but I wouldn't call it my fastest focusing lens either (nor my DA* 60-250, for that matter). That being said, I never suffered any SDM failure, in spite of all the badmouthing it received on the (soon to be closed) DPReview forums...

Back