DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

From M to LTM

J

jyr

Hello you all,
Some of you may have seen my previous post on collapsible 50 mm.
I currently use an M with a rigid summicron but would like to purchase a collapsible 50 Elmar. I still hesitate between a modern M-2.8 and an 'old' E39-3.5, that some of you have considered (even) sharper and that is obviously much more compact (that is the quality required for a collapsible lens).
Would you like to further comment on the compared qualities of these two lenses? Is the 'red scale' 3.5 improved compared to the older version?
Additionally, I could get a LTM body as second camera. Not for collection but of course for shooting! Therefore I only would consider a camera the shutter of which should be as reliable as that of my M6. But I could do without rangefinder. Therefore, an IC could be a good match. Would anyone comment on this choice? Has the IC from the 50's the improved shutter of the IIIG? What price could be reasonable? How much is a CLA? Thanks in advance,
JY

>I still hesitate between a modern M-2.8 and an > 'old' E39-3.5, that some of you have considered (even) sharper and > that is obviously much more compact (that is the quality required for > a collapsible lens).

I am very happy with my present M-2.8 but I was very happy as well with my previous LTM 3.5. Both are excellent. I cannot compare directly, I did not have them at the same time, but I made very sharp pictures with the old 3.5, both b+w and colour slides.

> I could do without rangefinder. Therefore, an IC could be a good > match. Would anyone comment on this choice?

A IC is much rarer than a IIIC and you might find that a III (plain,a,b or c) not only offers rangefinder coupling but can be bought for less. Have a look on ebay to get an idea on prices. A III a or b (pre-war) is often more reliable than a wartime or early post-war IIIc.

I used a IIIb for 15 years without any problem ever before switching to an M3. In some ways I preferred it: smaller, thinner, lighter with the collapsible Elmar and a thin ever-ready case to protect it. I had it in my pocket, like I would now take a small digital Olympus P&S when I do not want to carry the Leica or Nikon gear.

The main disadvantages: you need a bulky accessory finder for using any lens but a 50mm, no flash coupling on early models if you need flash. You can still find small working exposure meters that fit in the accessory shoe. They will not fit in the ever-ready case, though. I got easily used to the separate rangefinder.

>How much is a CLA?

I recently found a link to D. Austin VanC&en. He asks $150 http://www.rolleiflexrepair.com/ I have not tried him. Has anybody had some experience with him?

Dear JY,

I have numerous Elmars f/3.5 as well as an early f/2.8 and a very late f/2.8.

From f/4 there is no apparent difference in practical terms. Erwin Puts considers the f/2.8 similar to the contemporary Summicron from f/4.

I use the f/3.5 for is compact size, and the f/2.8 for ease of aperture adjustment when using filters.

My prints are 34cm x 50cm and project slides onto 2m x 2m screen, both of which show differences between lenses and film quite well.

Have fun.

Justin

Back