DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Flash with 67mm filter ring

P

prpbmw

When shooting with the Nikon 67mm adapter in place, I get a oval shadow in part of the picture. Apparently the flash is not high enough to fill in over the adaptor.

Any thoughts (besides acquiring a different flash)?

Remove the adaptor?

Is it necessary to have it there when shooting flash?

Is it necessary to shoot flash when it is in place?

Is there some reason for not using ambient light which is often much more attractive than flash?

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

The filter ring carries a UV to protect the lens from scratches. Hate to have to R&R it to use flash.

Just tried an aux light in the hot shoe...works well.

If it is necessary to protect the lens when shooting with the camera to your eye,what are you using to protect your head? Anything powerful enough to wipe out your lens is going to do 10-fold the damage to your person.

However,in less dangerous situations, do as the pros do and use a lens cap. You will never see a sports photographer or photojournalist with a UV filter unless it is needed to filter UV on a film camera. These are people who depend upon their cameras for their livelihood.

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Here is an answer I got from Nikon:

Dear Paul

You are correct in that when you are using the filters on the camera you well not be able to use the internal flash as it bounces off the adapter and causes the shadow. If you really need to use the flash I would suggest using and external flash, or a flash connected to the hotshoe of the camera which should get rid of this shadow effect.

Thanks
Scott
Nikon

Back