Using old lenses on Nikon D300?

CatB

Hi, I have recently bought a Nikon D300 and am wondering whether I can use any lenses on it which were designed for Nikon film cameras? If so can anyone give me some advice on which ones I can use, and which are worth buying, thanks!

PhysEd

Hello,

yes, as far as I know you can use all the Nikon lenses, also the old ones. I'm not completely sure, but with very old lenses the exposure measurement might not work and you need to do that manually.

Giving advice on what to buy is pretty difficult if we don't know what your prefered themes are.

Depending on your preferences, budget and demand of quality there are dozens of lenses to recommend.

Please specify and we'll help you as far as possible.

Cheers
Mike

CatB

Thanks, thats good to know. I mainly shoot landscape and nature images, and have just started to try to photograph motorbike and car racing. I just wondered whether old lenses could be used as a cheaper alternative until Ive saved up for some posh new lenses!

PhysEd

Well, you certainly can use those old lenses to get started and see what you need.

I myself prefer to take a cheaper lens first to see whether this kind of lens works well for me, others claim that with this method you always pay twice.

Until now I used a D80, since the day before yesterday a D90, so all my experience are with those cameras.

A good set of lenses (not too expensive) could be:

Sigma 10-20 (I have the old version). 10mm are quite a perspective but very interesting to use, although sometimes even too much.

As a standard zoom I can recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (some claim that this lense doesn't harmonise with a D300, I couldn't tell). If you don't need F2.8 the 16-85 could be a very good and flexible option.

Those to lenses could cover most of your daily "business" as well as landscape.
For animals and sports you probably need more focal length. A quite cheap and fleexible solution might be the Sigma 150-500, I saw many good picture with this lens (I never used it though).
I startet with a Tokina 80-400 which was just too slow (AF as well as not a fast lens). Now I use a Nikon 300/4 + TC14 if necessairy. Secondhand not that expensive with an excellent quality.

If I were you I started with a good standard zoom and you'll soon see what more you need and how far this lense takes you.

Cheers
Mike