DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

50mm Summilux differents versions

luisrq

Hello all,

I’ve read a lot of reviews of the three versions of this lens : 11114 (E43), 11168 (E46), and the new ASPH.

I actually own the Summicron M 50mm (11825) produced during 1978-1994, the mainly point I see the Summilux as a more attractive lens is just the contrary as the “defects†it seems it has, less contrast and sharpness, except on the 5,6 – 16 range as is said by E. Puts, the fingerprint of Summicron and Summilux is the same.

Erwin Puts says that “the older Summilux paints as Rembrandt, the new as Vermeer…â€, on the other side on the Leica FAQ pages, I’ve visited http://4020.net/unposed/, I’ve also visited http://photos.oliversteiner.com/.

With Summicron I’ve never get the subtle tones I’ve see on these pictures; for my preferences I think that I don’t need the expensive ASPH.

I would like know your opinions, between the E43 and E46, and if it pays the difference with the Summicron, for my personal experience a stop of F2 is generally enough, the only point is about the difference in tones, gradation…

Thanks for your opinions
Luis

I have never been happy with the first two `lux lenses. My Summarit has done better than several mint first designsex&les in side by side tests, and the second has significant distortion and is not not sharp `til f8. But if you NEED 1.4, and don`t have the money for a new model, take your choice as they are both nice.
I am considering the new third version.

My personal approach is not a NEED of 1,4, for me this is only a little more comfort. For me, that I already have the 50 Summicron and the new Elmar, is a question of rendition in tones, subtle colour tones, rich graduation in B&W etc..., maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not concerned for the flare, sharpness etc.. For these reasons I have such questions, is not only to see and maybe decide in between the 2 or 3 Lux versions, it's too about the differences in the mentioned concepts with the "Cron". Best regards Luis

Back