DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New ZF lenseswhat lenses do you think Zeiss should make

grumpoid

Hiya all,

It's a bit quiet so here is a hopefully thought provoking post....would all interested posters like to say what FIVE ZF lenses they think Zeiss would be most sensible to make? ..I would just like to hear YOUR best thoughts so Zeiss actually make a success of the ZF line.
My FIVE:
a 21mm f2 or f2.8, 28mm f2, 35mm f2, 85mm f1.4 or f2 and 100mm f2 or f2.8.

Cheers Steve.

Hi Steve,

Yes, I'd more or less go with those although I'd like the 35 and the 85 both to be f1.4 and the 100 to be f2 but no doubt it would be prohibitively expensive. Also I would like a 50 1.4 (smaller than f1.2) and I'd like both a 21 and a 28, or is that being greedy? On thinking about it, if I can only have 5 lenses, I think I would prefer a 200 to the 21 and a 24 to the 28. So that's: 24/25 f.2.8 (to keep the size down), 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.4, 100 f2 and 200 f4. But that's 6, so I think I'll forgo the 85.
Can I add a teleconverter?
John

......mmmmmmmm... See the dilemma of Zeiss? The lenses with the hefty world wide reputations are in my opinion...21/2.8, 28/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 But are those potentially the most financially viable for Zeiss? we must remember it is also Nikon users who will buy and they do not have the same background thoughts, user knowledge and pre-formed opinions as Contax users....

Hi Steve,
I remember that Zeiss produced prototype 18 f2.8 and 25 f1.4 (!!) lenses some while ago - in addition to the 25 PC 3.5 - I think if I was to suggest that one of these three would be popular, it would be the 25 1.4. Other than that, the usual suspects: 21 f2.8, 28 f2, 35 f1.4 and either the 85 f1.4 or, a little bit different, a 135 f1.8 (like my dear old UltraUnitor lens from 1977).
Cheers,
Graham

A 25 f1.4 would be nice but wouldn't it be gigantic?
May be Nikkor users would want zooms?
I understand that, CZ has said that prices will be reasonable which I suppose is a subjective word according to the depth of one's pocket.
John

Hi Graham, Those two prototypes did cross my mind, but I somehow think they would be far too expensive for Zeiss to make...and they did say they wanted 'Nikon' prices (lets hope) It will be interesting to see If Zeiss play safe, or really listen to what buyers want...but they do NEED to make money with this project. Steve.

Hi John, interestingly, the 25 1.4 was about the same size as the 21mm that we all adore - like the 28 f2,it had quite a long body for a wide-angle lens. Yes, Zeiss' understanding of affordable often appears to be at variance with that of about 99.5% of the population.
Graham

Well, a 25 f1.4 would be lovely. I have the maligned 25 f2.8 which I like and enjoy although I don't use it very often. OK, I'll go for the 25 f1.4! Pricewise though - help! I expect.
John

Work-horse lenses first. 35/1.4 and 85/1.4.

25/1.4 would be a blessing. Perhaps a compromise 25/1.8 to keep the size and price more manageable. IMO, neither will ever happen.

a macro of some sort and a 135/2.

All caution to the wind?

All AF lenses on an Zeiss DSLR body with full frame, 20+ meg. sensor good to ISO 3200.

21/2.8 ASPH, 24/1.4 ASPH, 35/1.2 ASPH, 85/1.2 APO, 120/2.8 APO Macro, 200/2 APO IS ... with a 1.4X APO.

I'd sell every piece of 35 mm SLR and DSLR gear I own, and a chunk of the MF stuff for such a system, and never look back.

Lovely thoughts Marc. Who knows, maybe it could happen and sweep the professional market but I expect the downside would be that it would have an enormous cost.

Back