DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Just got an M3

jethangar

Hi Folks, I just picked up a mighty fine M3 w/ 50mm lens on Ebay. It takes great pictures...already tested it. Just one thing, though. Mine doesn't have the film asa (red) pointer on the back of the camera. How should I go about setting the asa film speed? Is setting it "really" important? Thanks for advice!

Steve

Dear B&B

Congratulations on the M3. Which lens came with it? The dial on the back door is only a reminder of what film is in the camera (if you have remembered to set it). I have never used the dial in thirty five years!

Justin

A treat you can give yourself is a photo-equip rewind crank $100 vs the over priced and poorly designed leica rewind MP crank at around $200.

It makes m3 usage a breeze. I love it om and my two M3s. Just my two cents.

Enjoy the shooting.

places to order the crank are tamarkin.com and photovillage.com.

I also just picked up a mint M3 outfit (close focus kit, 50:2 summicron-M, leica light meter, boxes, manuals and leather cases)... cant wait for it to arrive!!
proud.gif

I've had an M3 for about a year and it is an amazing camera. I picked up the Summicron DR 50 and it is a fine lens. I may begin the move to a total Leica setup as I am doing much more doc photos than I used to. It is a much better tool for such work than my EOS bodies.

Hi,

Glad to hear you=92re getting on well with the Leica M-series. I=92ve = now been using an M6 for just over a year and have taken some of my best photos = with it. However, I wouldn=92t ditch the EOS bodies (at least not all of = them) completely. I=92m currently buying an EOS 3 with a decent lens in the = 200-300 mm range for wildlife and sports photography. The M isn=92t the right = tool for those jobs in my opinion. For most other work it seems to excel once you = get used to it.

Merry Christmas!

James

Back