DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How to use focus lock button on G2

G

I would be grateful if someone would explain how the focus lock button on the back of the G2 works. I don't understand the functional difference between this button and the shutter release button when depressed halfway. I had assumed that the focus lock button would enable you to lock focus and then take your finger off, without having to keep either the shutter release or the focus lock button depressed. But whenever I let go of the focus lock button the camera resets just the same as if I had half-depressed the shutter release to focu normally -- so what's the point? I assume there must be a good reason to have the focus lock button, but I haven't figured it out and don't find the manual helpful.

Thanks for any help.

See pages 68 and 96-104 in the manual. There may be other references on other pages. If you do not have a manual I will try to scan the pages for you (they are small and difficult to scan well). Let me know
Harbert

I have the same problem as Kirk, "I haven
t figured it out and don't find the manual helpful".

I usually use the shutter relase button when i'm actually shooting the picture,

and the focus lock button when i'm doing a self-portrait using the delay timer. (ie. Fix the focus to where i would be standing)

Any other suggestions?

I agree it leaves a lot to be desired:
1) In single auto focus (SAF) you can push the shutter release button half way down or push in the CAF after you get a focus, you have to hold one or the other in to lock focus. It is easier for some to hold the shutter release button half way down and easier for others to hold down the CAF all the way.
2) When you use Continuous auto focus (CAF) you push the shutter release button down half way and hold it and the camera focuses continuously as you move it from subject to subject (at different focus distances). If you want to hold the focus at any time push the focus lock button, hold, align or pan the picture and fire. Focus remains locked as long as the focus lock button is held in. For the same focus point use the focus lock, otherwise the camera will refocus each shot in CAF.
4) In the MF mode, if the focus lock button is held depressed, the viewfinder shutter speed display will change to show the distance at which the focus is made. In that manner you can confirm the distance without taking your eye from the viewfinder.
5) When you are focusing and want to lock you can just push in the focus lock button and hold. You don't have to hold shutter release button half way down if you hold your finger on the lock button.
That is what I got out of the manual and playing with my G2. I agree its a little confusing and hope what I am telling you is correct. Hope this helps.
Harbert

Made a mistake. In item 1) the CAF should be the focus lock button in both places.
Sorry about that.
Harbert

There is an undocumented feature about the G2's focus lock button.

In order to save the measured distance, just flip the AF/MF ring to MF while pressing the focus lock button ("push and turn"). I usually do this with the thumb only.

Sometimes very usefull.

Till,

Wow. I love it. Using the technique of pressing the focus lock (pushing and turning) to MF is a great technique. It works.

Thank you -- Till, I will use it.

Howard

Back