DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

References for opticslens design

ssp65

I am interested in learning more about optics/lens design from a technical perspective. Can anyone recommend any good books or web sites which give detailed information about this? To give you an idea of what I am looking for, I would like to learn more about what makes a particular lens a "planar" or a "tessar", for ex&le, and what specific characteristics does a particular lens design display. Also, the importance of spherical abberations in lens designs. That sort of stuff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve, Get Erwin Puts book, Leica Lens compendium. Well written. Good illustrations of aberrations. Good history, although I know your interest is Contax and not Leica. Nice explanation of what aberrations do to the image. At the risk of stirring up endless debate, he explains bokeh or bo-ke, including why "pleasing" bokeh is a result of less correction. Newer lenses better corrected have out of focus images that may not be as smooth.

"planar" or a "tessar". This is explained in the Zeiss website.

Back