DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Is the M2 flare free like the M3

Stefan, I've owned an M6 for about 14 years, along with a few M2's and M4's over the years. The flaring of the rangefinder patch on the M6 has always been annoying for me, at times making it difficult to focus. I have a .58 MP that is wonderful to focus, better even than my M4. The MP never flares. Period. I finally broke down and had the condenser added to my M6, making it like that in the MP. It's a HUGE improvement and makes my M6 just as clear and flare-free as my MP. Leica is finally releasing the parts needed for this upgrade to independent repair people. Perhaps you can find someone in your part of the world that can do it for you. If you are as bothered by the flaring as your post indicates you'll REALLY love your M6 after the upgrade.

Jim, thanks alot for the input! I hope you're right with that news and maybe I can get the job done in Singapore later this year or next year. In China no chance.
I am surprised leica didn't do anything about that problem for such a long time.
regards, stefan

ps are you the horse photographer from Texas?

Jim, Did you have it done by an independent or by Leica? What sort of cost are we talking about for this upgrade. Thanks
Colin

Colin, I had Don Goldberg of DAG perform the upgrade. He charges $150 plus shipping the last I heard. That's about a $100 less than Leica USA is charging.

>Kelvin, I used a tiny wall mount (hinge) fore a picture frame. It came with a flat square surface (the one you usually nail to the back of a wooden frame, top center) which I fixed onto the flat top of the camera body, just above the prisms with the help of double sided tape. Then there's a triangle shaped hinge (the one that usually goes around the nail in the wall. Well, I covered that one with glue and stuck the Shade on top. I painted all visible parts black. It DOES look slightly DIY... but it works well! Cheers.

I recently lost several years off my life when I dropped my M3 in a parking lot, as I was trying to put it into its case in the car trunk. The rangefinder prism decemented and the front glass window cracked. All I could see in the VF was the black frame mask and the RF center window. After enquiring on the web, I took it to Toronto where David Yau (whose business specializes in Leica and Hasselblad repairs) put it back together, cleaned the camera and replaced a few spots where the vulcanite had chipped off for, can you believe it, only $270CDN.

In contrast, Kindermann, the Leica importer said it could not be repaired and offered to send the camera to Solms for an M6J rangefinder installation for only $1500+taxes. Needless to say, the camera now works perfectly and the RF is brighter due to the cleaning.

Stefan,

I also own an M6 and have heard about the "flare" problem off the rangefinder window. A friend of mine suggested that I check out the following website for an accessory called a "Shade."

http://www.leicagoodies.com

They manufacture this item called "The Shade" and, in theory it's suppose to significantly reduce the amount of flare on the M6. I've ordered 2 of them "just in case" I have a simlar flare problem. After I receive them... I'll give it a try and report back.

Cheers

Back