DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film to Digital Darkroom General Workflow

Hi Colin,

I know what you mean, I also came from a wet darkroom. Adobe RGB1998 is a great profile and will give you awesome prints, if you don't have to print outside your system it's the way to go. You'll just need to keep all the profiles the same. As for the darkroom I'm finding that the new adobe lightroom is as close to a wet darkroom as it gets with a whole lot more control. I process the camera file or scan in lightroom for colour, density, saturation then export it to a finished file (keeping the original untouched)and use CS2 to do croping, dodging, burning, sharpening and finally printing.

Regards, Franc

Hi Franc:

I get it now about the sRGB for external use especially. Thanks.

Do you do much in monochrome?

I have about a "gazillion negs" which I am picking through for 'digitising' (should that be a z) and that is where Silverfast6 Ai Negafix is really helping (it came bundled with the V750M). I would say that I am about a 70/30 BW to Color user, and even though I will now use a lot more Fuji chromes for new work (because I can much more easily desaturate etc via channels etc.) I still want to develop (no pun) my <new> skills in black and white or toned work.

I like the "Advanced Black and White" options a lot. Do you do much from BW negs?

I have just started to look at Lightzone 2.0.2 - it shows a lot of promise for mono I think.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Cheers,

Colin

P.S. I really appreciate the fact that this thread - although 'young' - is about the 'how to' and not about 'my hardware is better than your hardware' which I have always thought to be the same as a contemporary of Shakespeare telling William that 'my quill pen is longer than your quill pen'. Heh heh.

I have been laboring to get my two inkjets calibrated so that the printed images are as close as possible. There are a few quirks in my setup:
1. I use HP970C for standard photographic (8x10) and HP1700C printers for super B (13x19).
2. The printers are shared from a PC server running W2000. I do photoshop either on my Toshiba laptop (XP) or on a custom PC with XP.
3. I calibrated the laptop monitor and PC monitor using Gregtagmacbeth I1.
4. Using the Toshiba I printed a target using each printer using the Colorvision Printfix Pro, and then used their "color mouse" to read all the target colors. This created for each printer an .icc file on the Toshiba.
5. My first prints look very reasonable.
NOW THE $64.95 question: can I copy the .icc files from the laptop to the PC? If so, where...? Or do I have to repeat the targeting process again on the PC? Should I put these .icc files somewhere on the server (where...?)?

Dave Klemp

Back