DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DP2Merrill and DP3Merrill in CO and Four Corners area

SandyF

I am now processing (and/or reprocessing) in SPP6.8.2 many photos I took in 2015 with the DP2Merrill and DP3Merrill in the Durango CO area as well as various archaeological sites in the 'Four Corners' area of the US Southwest (CO, UT, NM, AZ) The series from a Durango to Silverton train trip are online and I'm starting to upload the archaeological photos, which I will put in "Colorado 2015" album on flickr as well as in appropriate DPxMerrill albums. I stopped processing soon after the trip, as I was having a lot of trouble getting the color tones just right in the SPP of that era. It seems easier with SPP6.8.2, although the appearance on my computer is very different from the appearance on my cellphone and tablet, I would appreciate hearing back comments on the color and lightness/darkness of photos before I get too far along in processing. One from the archaeological site Chaco Canyon then another below added from the train trip
53045265506_f29a9776cf_b.jpgSDIM3364 Sigma DP2Merrill Chaco Canyon NM color adj by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr

53043687256_48f2e78cc7_b.jpgSDIM0329 Sigma DP3Merrill Leaving Silverton CO VIVID mode by Sandy Fleischmann, on Flickr
Both are on flickr for full exif, processing notes, and large sizes

These images look mighty good to me. Two of my favorite places.
Getting the color right in images of Chaco Canyon is not easy. It's basically a monotone environment. The eye manages quite well but the camera not so much. Light varies in the high altitude environment during the day and getting there early or late is an issue for day visitors/photographers. I once stayed late and had a three hour adventure getting back across the mesa to the highway. Maybe the road has improved since then. I don't shoot Sigma but I've used Canon, Olympus m4/3 and bridge cameras at Chaco. All had similar issues with color.

Husband and I were on an archaeological tour with Crow Canyon Archaeological Center. We visited Chaco Canyon, the Aztec ruins, (which aren't of course Aztec), Mesa Verde, the southern Ute reservation land, and some places around Canyons of the Ancients. Husband and I will travel on our own in autumn to Durango, Mesa Verde, Navajo lands, including hopefully Canyon de Chelly if I can set up a Navajo photo tour guide. Probably stay in Chinle. If you know the area, would driving to a Hopi mesa be too far? We will probably need a day in Window Rock, as we need to set up a meeting at the museum. That's another story. I know distances tend to involve a lot of driving.

Although I spent many years living and traveling in the Four Corners states I have no current knowledge of conditions there. Accurate local information is needed especially when visiting native lands. In general traveling distances and nearby accommodation will require some care. I'm no longer able to travel but seeing those places and many others particularly in New Mexico is the experience of a lifetime. Best of travels to you.

Back