DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

How does M6 age

mattj

I got my self a nice chrome M6 TTL. It's in perfect condition and I like it very much. I never had chrome equipment before. How should I expect this camera to age? My other equipment (xpan) that I use a lot is covered with gaffers tape (http://brunerdog.tripod.com/care2.html#gaf) but that's because in Las Vegas during photoshow I saw an xpan that looked like somebody took it gravel surfing. Paint was peeling off and it looked horrible plus Xpan rep acknowleged that first series of cameras had this problem. Replacment that I got after I lost my first xpan in WTC on 9/11 is one of the first batches but it seems to hold up well. Since I climb, ski, kayak and hike with a camera hanging from my neck (or in the pack) I was wondering how the chrome leica will look after few years? Also does it matter if I store the camera winded or unwinded? Any general tips on care and use of the M6 will be very much welcomed. I use it with following lenses: 25mm (cosina), 35mm (f2 asph), 50 elmar and 75mm (cosina). Also any tips on shooting landscape as far as the metering goes?

Thank you gentemen and ladies for your time.

Matt Jachyra
http://brunerdog.tripod.com

Matt

You can expect to use your beautiful chrome M6 for many years ahead and still have it looking beautiful. The chrome finish is very hardy and doesn't show up scuffs as much as the black ones.

Judging from the many well used M3s I've seen over the years your M6 will still look pretty damn good in 40 years from now. My chrome M3 (made in 1959) gets bashed about a bit, wherever I go it tags along, and despite the abuse it just keeps on looking very nice.

You really don't have to be over precious with the chrome Leicas, it takes quite a lot of maltreatment to scuff them up.

Enjoy your camera, and the chrome M6s are rather nice looking. I haven't seen one in years, they all seem to be black these days.

craig

Sorry Matt missed a bit

Definitely store the M6 with the shutter uncocked. When it is wound on a spring is tensioned. Best to leave it untensioned whenever the camera is not in use.

In relation to maintainence. When I bought my first Leica the salesman said the best thing you can do for this camera is use it, and I've come to learn he knew what he was on about.

Remember your M6 is basically 1940s mechanical technology and as such Leicas don't like to be left sitting for long periods. If they are left unused both Leica cameras and lenses tend to stiffen up. So give them a regular workout. Twist the lens focussing ring the full way round periodically to prevent it from stiffening up along certain sections that aren't often used in your general practice. Over the years lens focussing rings can to get a little tight at the close focussing range position. General use across the full focussing range keeps them working smoothly.

In short use your Leica gear every day and it will still be working in 50 years time. Oh, also in 10 to 15 years time think about having it serviced.

Periodically wipe the outside surfaces with a soft untreated cotton cloth to remove grease from finger prints and dust. Dust accumulation is bad as it can harbour mold spores.

Hope this helps, Craig

About leaving the spring tensioned.... I don't believe any decent = spring suffers much from this. When the Rollei 35 was introduced, there = was a lot of correspondence about this, because the camera cannot be = closed away without cocking the shutter. Some technicians may have = comments on this, but I don't believe this has proved to be a design = fault of that camera. I don't know (again, I defer to technical = knowledge), but I imagine that Leica shutter timing is determined by an = escapement, not by spring tension, in which case the bogeyman must be = spring failure rather than weakening.

Matt

In relation to the question over caring for your M6.

You may find Erwin Puts' article "How To Choose A Leica M version" helpful.

go to http://www.imx.nl/photosite/mseries/choosem.html

or just pug "erwin puts" into a google search and click on the first cab on the rank and you are at his photosite. If you haven't been there before it is highly recomended.

In regards to leaving the shutter cocked, Dr Puts has this to say, "The shutter tension spring mechanism uses some grease and this will harden when not used regularly. The springs are very strong and there is no difference in wear and tear if you keep the shutter tensioned or not"

So it doesn't matter if you keep the shutter wound on or not with your M6. I'm from the old school in the sence that old timers have repeatedly advised me to leave the shutter uncocked when the camera is stored away, so that's what I've always done.

regards craig

> Uh huh, cocked or uncocked, whch is it to be? I have always heard it's better to leave the shutter tensioned, partly because you are instantly ready for that next shot...but perhaps ths is wrong? Has anyone ever experienced any problems by leaving the shutter cocked?

David

Yes it makes sense to have your camera at the ready when you are using it.

However, the theory (or old wives tale) is that when the camera is put away for any period of time, it is best to leave the shutter uncocked. The rational for this is that the shutter tensioning spring left in an untensioned state it is not under stress for lengthy periods, and will provide longer more reliable service.

I suppose the question is with a new camera or one that is 40 or 50 years old does it really matter. The consensus here is that it doesn’t matter whether the spring is left constantly tensioned or not. The said spring will suffer no ill effects over many decades.

I’m in the habit (for good reason or folly) of storing my cameras with the shutter left uncocked. When out and about on the hunt for shots, the film is always wound on so the camera is ready to go.

craig

Whether the shutter is left cocked or not depends on the following. 1. Camera. Everyone on this site says that the Leica shutter spring is robust, therefore it likely won't matter. However, some cameras (Hasselblad) end up with a replaced spring often when the shutter is serviced (C lens). Must weaken on some cameras. 2. Do you want to be ready for the next shot? If so, leave it wound or at least wind it before your shooting op when you take your camera out.

I think the issue over whether to leave cocked or not, is interesting when it comes to Leica M cameras, in particular. I doubt (in al honesty have no real idea)if ware and tare is that great in general use. But going back to Matt's orignal question,

"...does it matter if I store the camera winded or unwinded?"

Does the conventional wisdom of leaving the spring untensioned during storage apply for the M series cameras? Considering also many of us tend to buy these things and expect them to continue running faultlessly for life, conceivably the part can't last forever.

Are there any technical gurus out there who have a handle on this issue and can perhaps provide a more definitive answer? As a matter of general interest it would be nice to know.

> There is no harm whatsoever in leaving a Leica in its wound-on state for as > long as you please. I have asked various Leica repairers about this on a > number of occasions (to dispel my scepticism) and they have all assured me that > a Leica can be left wound on as long as you like with no detrimental effects. > It's true, the spring does weaken on some other cameras. Viz the > Hasselblad ex&le - NEVER leave leaf shutters cocked for longer than absolutely > necessary. They are minutely engineered and highly stressed and don't like it > very much at all.

Back