DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

BW or Color Landscape - Oh the choices

Robert.4507

Hello everyone,

Want to do a BW landscape and to also try to run text with the photos. Then,,, then there was indecision,,,,,which version is more appealing? I propose to leave it open for opinion.....

This is the BW version,and it has strong points.
View attachment 1285

The color blue is nice contrast with the golden yellow. This one also seems to show the depth behind the two predominant trees as a distant haze.
View attachment 1286

I value all CC,

Sincerely,

Robert

p.s.
Thank you to Klaus for posting the "how-to" to flow text around the photos.

Attachments

• SDIM0437_BW.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0437_BW.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 14
  • SDIM0437_1.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0437_1.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi Robert,

I like the colours! :) I always do ... though I used to do a lot of BW photos. conventional BW-photos used to be much cheaper than colours.

With my SIGMAs I go for their increadible colours .... in most cases.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Thank you Klaus,

The BW seems to have interesting line, and the geometry formed by the intersection and angles are countered by the randomness of the trees silhouette. But on the other hand, the blue is so pretty in the color photo.

good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Both are nice images

B&W is how I started with analog photography and I still appreciate the feel that it brings to a photo. I recently purchased Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro to have traditional looking B&W control available with my Sigma photos.

Steaphany,

Thank you for sharing that software link. I was surprised at the price of the package. I am going to be interested in giving the demo a run, a some point when I return from vacation.

BW is my first experience with 35mm and doing my own developing. It was back in my early teenage years, in the early 70's. (giving a vague hint as to my age) :)

Likewise, I will be interested to seeing some of the photos that you produce with your SD14 and this software package.

Good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Hmmm, We're roughly the same age. :)

I agree, the price that Nik Software lists on their web site is a bit steep, but I shopped around and found that B&H Photo sells it at a very much lower price plus B&H has reviews submitted by customers:

Silver Efex Pro at B&H

Before even running the demo, I was impressed by the online videos on the Nik Software site:

Nik Software Video Tutorials & Demos

This is my first image processed through Silver Efex Pro. I shot this photo of my Horse Ashlene last year shortly after getting my SD14:

View attachment 1339

I wanted to see what sort of antique look Silver Efex could achieve. I know it comes with a nice assortment of single click styles, but I tried my hand at choosing the effects manually. I felt that a deep sepia, with a strong film grain, and with a white vignette would nicely antique this photo:

View attachment 1340

Attachments

• SDIM0051s2.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0051s2.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 5
  • SDIM0051BW2.jpg
    EXIF
    SDIM0051BW2.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 5
Hi All,

Nice Software! :)

What about having an antique photo of myself?!

Since I often feel like a fossil .... :D

Steaphany, would you kindly "olden" me (in photographic terms of course!!:D)

View attachment 1341

Now I am very much looking forward going antique! :D

See you with interesting pictures

Klaus

P.S. What do the others think??! .... Can I then compete with the horse???

Attachments

• Klausi1.jpg
    EXIF
    Klausi1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 104
Steaphany,

The BH price is more competive. However, after viewing the BW antiqued horse, this software has certainly spiked a yearning to learn more about it.

I want to say "congrats" on the photo conversion. IMO it has come out very appealing, is very well done and is not overdone.

Good luck with your pictures,

Robert

Klaus,

Since your image was only 200x300, I first had to load it into Qimage to bring the resolution up to 533x800. Silver Efex Pro could easily work with the original resolution, but the antique grain caused a loss in detail. I then opened the 533x800 image in Photoshop, Called up the Silver Efex Pro filter, and this is the result:

View attachment 1361

Attachments

• {Q}Klausi1_BW.jpg
    EXIF
    {Q}Klausi1_BW.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 11
Keep in mind that the output from Silver Efex Pro is still technically a "color" image. Once saved as a flattened JPG, the antiqued 533x800 image was 137K larger than the enlarged Qimage JPG file.

My reason for not going any larger than 533x800 was to stay below the forum's 400K image size limit.

Back