DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Photoshop Question White Shows Dark Hides

C

clarktmc

I just finished a class with Lewis Kemper, he taught the cool thing in Photoshop White Shows and Dark Hides. I have tried to recreate this but with no luck. Does anyone have notes or step by step instructions on how to do this in photoshop. It would be great, anything to get me going in the right direction. Lost but no forgotten. Tom

That sounds like using layer masks, though I have never heard it put in those terms.

Once you have added a layer, open the layer palette and make sure the new layer is selected - the tumbnail area will be highlighted.

While the layer palette is open, click on the little icon that is a rectangle with a circle inside. This enables the layer mask. You will notice that the swatches in the tool palette change to black and white. (You can toggle between swatches just by typing X.)

To render parts of the layer transparent and show the layer below, paint with black. If you want to restore detail, paint with white - that simple! I hope this is what you are referring to.

larry! ICQ 76620504 http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Back