DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 50mm f2

There was a lengthy debate lasting some months in the LHSA as to which is the "best" Summicron 1:2/50 mm. The debate was beteen the 1956-1968 "dual-focus" and the 1969-1979 lens. The jury is still in the jury room, but let me say the 1979-current lens was quickly eliminated.

Justin,

I'd be interested to know what the main arguments were against the 1979 to current 50 mm summicron lens.

Re the 69-79 summicron: one camera dealer told me that in terms of color rendition and contrast, this lens is the one to beat.

Re the 69-79 summicron: one camera dealer told me that in terms of color rendition and contrast, this lens is the one to beat.

=======================================================

I am not Justin ( for which he is probably eternally grateful ).

But you must remember that most "dealers" will always tell you that the one they are selling is the "best".

As far as the LHSA arguements are concerned, much of the logic was in the same category as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Some people like a shallow focus, others like as much depth as they can get. The arguements all revolve around personal taste and current fashion. Every lens design has its special qualities. It is up to the photographer to choose and make the best use of them.

Dear Bryan,

I will find the articles in the "Viewfinder" for you this evening.

IMHO the camera dealer was right however the "dual-focus" is capable of higher resolution.

I suspect there is a lot of hearsay regarding Leica equipment, however I am commenting here from my own experiences with all five lenses. In practical terms I also agree with Andy and Preak, all Summicons are fine lenses although I find the "dual-range" has a subjective 'smoothness' that I like particularly when photographing people. It may be due to not so high contract.

Sincerely,

Justin.

Hello: Regarding the "modern" 50 summicron...mine is the next to last version. Great performance, no complaints. Hard to know what the experts at the very esteemed and much admired LHS were thinking about. Of course, I am not using test charts, or any sophisticated measuring techniques which, I believe, would not be applicable to day to day use. Why wonder about how many angels can dance on the tip of the proverbial pin...the modern lens is great, so are the older ones. Get which you desire, and shoot the heck out of it. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy and darn the opinions and test charts.

Best of shots,

Elliot

Summicons are fine lenses although I find the "dual-range" has a subjective 'smoothness' that I like particularly when photographing people. It may be due to not so high contrast.

====================================================

Both Elliot and Justin bring simple logic to this subject. I will add that the lenses were ( are ) designed to utilise the films available when they were ( are ) designed. In the 1950s B&W was the predominant film. Now color is the dominant film. Greater contrast brings out better color, hence lenses designed for greater contrast.

It was once explained to me that resolution and contrast were design opposites. Higher resolution meant lower contrast and vice versa. With todays films, higher contrast seems to give a sharper appearing image. I think the technical term is edge accutance. At the time they were designed both the DR Summicron and the Micro-Nikkor were capable of performance surpasing the commercially available films. And in spite of the age of the designs, both still perform admirably well.

Hi, can anybody tell me the 50'cron version between the first rigid and the 1969's? It is lighter than the first rigid and heavier than the 69's. Mine is a chrome with infinity lock. Thanks.

My 1974 Summicron was with me during a recent trip to Solms. A few Leica guys tested it in the "sacred" lab. They concluded that I alone had the sharpest Leica 50mm Summicron ever produced by a German glass designer. The resultion was apparently higher than any Hasselblad 500mm lens ever tested. Fecking amazing when you think about it. Mine, all MINE!

Chris

> [Hi Justin

Thank you for this treatise - very informative - but pray advise - what are "Kolsch" lenses?

Sincerely

Joseph Low

Back