DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning Zeiss Lenses

G

I'm very pleased with my results using the new Zeiss Lens Cleaning Set. The set is simple, consisting of a bottle of cleaning solution, a lens brush and two microfibre cloths. It differs from the Zeiss lens cleaning kit I've seen in the States, and I had to order mine from Germany (a quick and painless process, as it turned out).

Using the kit as directed leaves the lens surfaces spotless and, as far as I can tell, the T* coating in like-new condition. I've always been reluctant to use anything other than my condensed breath and Kodak lens tissue on my Zeiss glass but over time, more-stubborn resudue tends to collect. A little effort with the new kit last night made my 20-year-old 85/1.4's large front element sparkle. Now I'll be brave enough to use it on my Hasselblad lenses too.

The set is not expensive, and I recommend it highly.

Best regards,

--Rick

> I'm very pleased with my results using the new Zeiss Lens Cleaning > Set. The set is simple, consisting of a bottle of cleaning solution, a > lens brush and two microfibre cloths.

Thanks for the info. I use a product called "ClearSight":

http://www.clearsightusa.com/

and I find it far better than ROR or any other cleaner I've used, though I have not tried the Zeiss cleaner, but have been told the active ingredient is alcohol. ClearSight also sells microfibre cloths (I believe they are $2 each), I don't recall if they sell brushes.

Regards,

Austin

> I agree this kit does make a difference. Being a trained chemist, I can tell the cleaning solution > is not alcool based. Smells more like a chlorinated organic solvant. Anyways, it proved very > efficent at removing greasy deposits. I was able to ressuscitate my ageing Softar II. Worked > wonders on my other lenses This kit however is rather hard to find in North America. One can > order it online from Foto-Huppert in Germany (www.foto-huppert.com), which I did. More > expansive than an ordinary lens cleaning kit, but worth the extra bucks (or Euros). And as a > plus, you have "Zeiss" printed on the microfiber clothes! :)

Guillaume wrote: "....is not alcool based. Smells more like a chlorinated organic solvant...."

Could it be 80% Petrolether and 20% 2-Propanol ?

Dieter

Does anyone know of a product I can use to remove light fungus from optics. I don't have any now but will be spending a couple of months in the tropics and would like to have a product with me just in case. I had an old article from Zeiss that mentioned a cleaner but it was not available in the US. Any suggestions? Thanks, Guy

> There is a product called Zeiss Lens Cleaner. It can be purchased at > Adorama, B&H or just about any photo supply retailer as well as eye glass > stores. It is manufactured for Carl Zeiss Optical by a company in > Cleveland Oh named nanoFILM LTD. It is ammonia-free and will clean all > multi-coated lenses.

> Does anyone know of a product I can use to remove light fungus from > optics.

Yes, it's called Hydrogen Peroxide, and is readily available at most any pharmacy. As far as my experience goes, it does a superb job of removing the fungus (though the fungus may have etched the glass, and there is not a thing you can do about that) and not harming anything.

Austin

Try this formular.
10% household hydrogen peroxide
40% household NH3 solution
50% 90% alcohol

Leo

The solution in the Zeiss cleaning kit available from Foto M Huppert is what Zeiss terms "L" solution. It is the same solution used during the manufacture of their lenses. It will not harm T* coatings, most important, I think.

I might add that dealing with Foto M Huppert is a pleasure. www.foto-huppert.de

> Does anyone have experience with the Zeiss lens cleaning kit? Is it worth buying? Where can I get it in the States?

Dave

Back