DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film recomendations which film should i use

G

Hi there, i have been reading the posts about films, but i really mess up, what i want to know is which film you can reccomend me for:
B&W portraits
Color portraits
Color landscape
B&W Night street people shots
Perhaps i´m asking too much but i really have a mess in my head whith this "film chice" thing, which is pretty important.
So far the film that did'nt let me down for B&W portrait is the Kodak T400CN, but i know there is better...
About landscape, should i give a try to the Kodak Tmax 100 ?
Mostly i´m shooting whith an RTS I, and a Zeiss Planar 1.7-50 for portrait, and a Sigma 35-135 for landscape, and, next week i plan to do something healty to myself an buy a tripod.
Anyway i would like to preserve the freedom and quickness of a handheld photo, because i like to "steal" them to keep it the most natural/real i can.
Thanks already

Hi Rodrigo

I often do w&w shots. I most like the TMax series. I like the TMax = series because there's a higher contrast as on the Ilford Deltas - IMO. =

I most use the 400 ASA (TMY) for portraiture and landscapes too and = push it often one or two f-stops to 800 or 1600 ASA to work with=20 short aperture speeds (f-stops in the range from 1,4 to 4)

All colorfilms i use are the Fuji's (Reala, Sensia or provia)

cheers Dieter=20

> Hello Rodrigo, For basic color work, I shoot Fuji E-6 slide films. I like their Provia for most things and find Sensia to be almost exactly like it. (I've always understood they are virutually the same film, but that the Provia shows more uniformity in characteristics from batch to batch of film since it is intended for Pros, but that the Sensia might have slightly wider latitude in characteristics between batches of film - I enjoy both equally).

See Fuji Film for Professionals here: http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products.jsp?nav=1&parent=PRODUCT _CATEGORY_233844&product=

If you are shooting something in landscape that has bright sunlight and bright colors, you may also enjoy shooting Fuji Velvia. Velvia has an extra richness and ability to convey colors (warmly) that can sometimes be stunning if handled properly. Some feel the colors too extreme with Velvia - I think it depends on the situation. Never shoot Velvia on a muddy cloudy day, or you will be disapointed in it though. It is a sunny day and brilliant/bright color film to be sure, the colors will appear very saturated. (For ex&le, a good use of it might be shooting the Autumn colors on a bright sunny day)

If I'm going to shoot negatives for portraits, I really like Agfa print film. (Color Print Film) Something about the color balance that appeals to me. It is hard to find for me, but I like Agfa 160 Portrait Professional, I like the way it renders skin tones. Read about these films here: http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/film/professional/colorneg/

If I can't find that, then I go with Fuji 160 NPR Professional for Portrait Very nice film too. (Color Print Film) http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/Products.jsp?nav=1&parent=PRODUCT _CATEGORY_238448&product=2300108

Sorry I can't recommend anything for B&W for you. I hope this helps a little bit.

One last suggestion - you might want to just do a little testing of lens focal lengths you are choosing for your portrait shots. You mentioned that you are using a 50mm lens for portraits now, but test out using an 85mm or 100 mm lens in the same situation and see which you find most pleasing regarding the persons facial features. You might be surprised at the difference in your shots.

Good Luck! -Lynn

I am considering purchasing a transparancy/negative scanner and have a couple of questions.
a. What is the best available in your experience.
b. When having transparancies developed, should I ask the processor to refrain from putting transparancies into individual slide holders?

Thanks Dieter and Lynn, i'll try your recomendations to see which ones i like, but it depends on which ones i find here !(small mountain town), i'll upload the best results.
Thanks again
Rodrigo

For part a), I can't compare the various scanners available, but I can say that I get excellent results using the Microtek 4000t. Use of the Silverfast scanning software is a huge help with _any_ scanner, in my experience.

for part b), one does lose a substantial amount of frame (10-20% in terms of area) due to the rounded corners of the slide mount, and also due to the fact that the slide can easily be slightly rotated within the scan frame.

So if your main purpose is scanning, getting your transparencies unmounted is an excellent idea.

David,

my unexperienced knowledge:
Reportedly the best scanner for home use is Nikon Super CoolScan 4000 ED. It provides 4000 dpi 48-bit images at file sizes up to 130MB. You will need a modern PC with lots of RAM.
The price tag is about $1700.

Drum scans are still better.

>Hello David, It seems from all the testreports given here in Germany over years, that the Nikon gear (Coolscan-series) is always among the winners. But of course others can do also a fine job. I personally use an "old" Canon FS2710 (still 2800 dpi) - I am very content with that too... (Its also fast! - speed not being qite unimportant for your work!) - Use always the highest resolution for critical work with excellent optics. Your Zeiss-lenses may even be higher resolution than the best Nikon-scanner allows you to resolve with ASA 50 film. Stay away from flatbed-combinations! By far not sharp enough!

> Reportedly the best scanner for home use is Nikon Super CoolScan 4000> ED. It provides 4000 dpi 48-bit images at file sizes up to 130MB. You> will need a modern PC with lots of RAM.

Yes , I would agree with this - I have one of these myself and am very happy with it . Not the cheapest around , but given the quality and features you get I think its money well spent. Steve

bw portraits t-max 100 or t-max 400 in low light

color portraits fuji nph 160/nph 400 in low light
or fuji npz(ngz?)800

landscapes fuji nps 160

night street scenes tri-x 400

Remember if you overexpose/underexpose and over development/under develop or use poor quality labs it will not matter much what decent pro film you use.

Also once you choose a film stick with it. You will learn what you to do and what it 'gives' you. It is is important to know throughly how to control the film.
Do not join the film of the month club. It will not aid you in making the images you want to make.

Good luck.

Back