DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 167 MT lithium battery

judym

My 167 MT is about 16 years old now. It's well cared for, but should have the lithium battery inside the body replaced. TOCAD America, the US service center for Contax, said they no longer service this model because parts are not available. A large, local service center in Washington DC wouldn't service the camera for the same reason. Does anyone know of a reliable service center that does still works on this camera? If not, is there a way to replace it myself without dismantling half the camera? Is there a danger of the this type of battery leaking if I can't have it replaced? Sorry for all the questions. I love this camera and can't believe it could be trashed because of a battery.

I also have a 167MT which I bought second hand 5-6 yrs back. What is the battery you are referring to in your post ? Does the battery feed the LCD display ? I would have thought the 4xAAA batteries would feed that and the camera's workings. I will have to find my camera manual and look things up, as you have set my mind working. It is a beautiful camera, and like you I would not want it to be useless solely due to needing a small battery

judym,
I am looking at my 167 handbook now. Quote: "Power Source: Four 1.5V AAA size batteries. Built-in lithium backup battery for memory protection."

Nowhere else in the handbook can I find reference to the lithium battery or its size. I cannot think what memory there is in the camera.
Perhaps someone else here, on this site, may come up with the answer. If you find anything else about this matter, please post a reply.
As regards change of the battery, here in the UK there are still several independent camera repairers, so it should be an easy thing to replace, rather than a part which can no longer be supplied.
Regards,
Fred.

judym, A little bit more info re your query. The battery is a memory backup for the LCD screen, should the AAA batteries be removed when the camera is loaded with film, and in use. The lithium is supposed to last about 10 years, and it should only be done by a camera technician. Presumably as top plate, or bottom plate will have to be removed to get at it. If I find any thing more of interest I will post.
Regards,
Fred.

Fred,
Thank you for taking time to look into this for me. I actually took the camera to a repair shop and met a factory trained Contax technician. He told me that the lithium battery is good for, as you said, about 10 years. He said Contax notified repair shops some years ago not to attempt replacement of the lithium battery, because they had too many problems with damaged electronics. The purpose of the lithium battery is to power the memory (such as the frame counter) when the AAA’s are removed, and even if it wears out the camera will still be usable. I was concerned about the battery leaking in the camera, but he said that’s why they use lithium batteries in cameras, lithium batteries won’t leak. I very much appreciated his taking time to answer my questions. This is a wonderful camera and I want it to last a very long time. I hope this information is useful to others.
Regards,
Judy

judym,
Looks like we have helped each other, and possibly other members, over this matter. You have set my mind at rest, as I was thinking of having the lithium battery changed in any case, due to my camera's age. As a result of your last post I will leave things as they are. Having bought the used 167 years back, I eventually treated myself to another Contax - the AX.:)
Before we got to the bottom of this problem, I posted on another site. Someone put up the full details and instructions as how to open the camera, top plate, etc., to get at the battery. There was no way I was going to attempt to even start.
Thanks again.
Regards, Fred.

I had the internal battery of my 167 MT replaced through TOCAD AMERICA, INC. in 2009. The camera was sent to Japan. The cost was $ 192.00

Guy,
Thanks for your input. Sounds a bit of a costly exercise. From the other information I will just leave things as they are at the moment. I might consider a change if it appears that it is necessary.
Fred.

Guy,

I contacted Tocad America about replacing the battery. They replied back saying they no longer service Contax cameras. This was back in about May 2010. I don't remember the details of their response now, but they said service was being handled through, I believe a place in Germany. Rather than send the camera out of the country for service, I opted to try the camera repair company in Washington. My visit with their technician is detailed above. I have dealt with Tocad America in the past for service on my 80-200mm Vario Sonnar. They were very pleasant and helpful. I was sorry they were unable to help me this time.

Best,
Judy

Back