DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Have Zeiss lost the plot again

The trick with any DVD or CD-ROM is to do a slow burn which is "deeper". 1X or 2X. It's a PITA, and super slow, but for stuff you really want to archive it's supposedly the way to go according to all the IT experts I've read, or those I've talked to at my ad agency.

The e-film DVDs and CD-ROMs are the newest out there, and the fact that Light Impressions carries them provides a bit more confidence.

BTW, I have CD-ROMs that are over 5 years old now and quite readable.

Thanks Marc, I will give slow burning a go. I always do it at the default rate which is usually the maximum speed. There is something wrong with my burner at the moment. it will do DVD's but not CD's for some reason.
I had not heard of Light Impressions but have looked them up and they have a comprehensive site.
I haven't heard of e-film either and cannot find much about it on the web.

e-film is a sub-brand from Delkin ... the folks that make a bunch of digital accessories, and of course Delkin CF cards for digital cameras.

Light Impressions has a long standing reputation with Galleries and Artist for providing archival materials for display and storage. They usually are very stringent in their standards for such materials. The Gold DVDs are rated at 100 years, and the Gold CD-ROMs at 300 years. I believe 3rd party labs do this rating based on accelerated tests. I won't know if this true since I'm a bit long in the tooth to be around by then ; -)

Joseph, concerning B&W images and which is the best technique to use:

Color images converted to B&W aren't quite the same as shooting B&W films IMO. B&W has a tonal range more responsive to subtile shadings and tonal gradations ... especially if you use some filters when foliage is concerned or skin tones.
Color films tend to convert quite flat and require more contrast adjustments which can heighten grain in some areas.

However, there are some multi-step techniques when converting color films to B&W that can come pretty close.

I have had very good results scanning the C41 B&W films like Kodak B&W 400 or Illford XP2. High resolution scanning tends to produce heightened grain with conventional B&W films, but the C41 films, with their super fine grain, seem to end up looking more like conventional films when digitally scanned.

B&W film printed by a skilled wet darkroom user are pretty hard to beat. Digital ink-jet prints have their own look and feel which is nice, but different.

So, afterall, B&W film has an irreplacable role, not even by colour film and software.

My father lent me his Leica IIIc 1937 with Summar f=5cm
1:2. It was given to him as a gift from a Jew who escaped from Nazi Germany. There was a chance that this camera might end up in Auschwitz rather than in my hand.

Mechanically, it is even better built than my Leica M3 and it feels like a gem. Apart from being a very good piece of photographic instrument, it shows you how the history evolves. Photography used to be very labour intensive from making the camera to the production of prints. Nowadays, everything becomes automatic.

Even though these cameras,both IIIc and M3, were introduced at a time before I was born, they certainly exudes quality I admired.

Thanks Marc,

I will investigate. My burner is broken at the moment and I am trying to get it fixed.

I have read of a rumoured Nikon digital FM camera. I wonder if that is why CZ have brought out the F mount lenses?! It would probably not be full frame but is certainly an interesting prospect.

It is strange how black and white film appears to have gone full circle in that photography began with it and photography, as we know used to know it, may end up with it.

Joseph what a lovely camera to own and no doubt cherish, with such an interesting provenance.
John

John, what do you mean by "FM" camera? A manual Nikon digital camera?

Joseph, what an interesting story. I once had a Leica made in 1932 (I looked up the serial number). I had to cut the film leader to use it (there is a film jig that is made to do this). That camera was part of a vintage Leica collection I assembled over the years. They all worked flawlessly and made perfect pictures. But the 1932 model was a little hard to use, and had a small viewfinder.

It all became so valuable, that it was not wise to use it. So, being a user more than a collector, I finally sold it all for a huge profit. Japanese collectors used to pester me no end to sell it all to them. They would follow me around Camera shows with big rolls of cash until I finally put a ridiculous price on it all ... and they bought it with no hesitation. The Japanese love cameras made in Germany. The proceeds paid for an entire Hasselblad system, and a Leica M6 plus 3 lenses ; -) I made about 400% profit from what I had originally paid. However, if I had a camera with a story like yours I would never sell it.

What an amazing story Marc. I wonder where the camera is now although it's probably in a display cabinet somewhere I suppose. If so, it will be being kept safe anyway.

Yes the rumour was of an FM3D from Thom's Predictions (predictions by Thom Hogan) which was a link given in another forum:

http://bythom.com/2006predictions.htm:

This is the quote:
"The FM3D rumors persist, and I really love the idea of that camera."

Here is another interesting quote from his Predictions:
"Contax remains unseen though rumblings of the resurrection of the brand start at Photokina (hint: Kodak, buy it for pennies now)".

I hadn't heard of him but maybe you have. He writes a photograpy blog.
It's a nice thought and a nice rumour across which I had not come before.

John

Back