DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Damaged data in Photoshop?

toisondor

Ever since I upgraded to SPP 4.0, whenever I open an SPP-treated file in Photoshop (both CS3 and CS5 on a Mac), I get the following message:

"This document contains Adobe Photoshop data which appears to be damaged. Continue and ignore the Photoshop data?"

I simply click 'OK' and everything seems fine, but it's pesky if I'm trying to do batch operations on multiple files. Besides that, I'd like to know what's going on.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Any solutions?

Jesse

Jesse...I have both PS3 & PS4....I don't get that error...

You might want to trash all three softwares...reboot the system and re-install...also if you SPP3.5 and SPP4 I had to get rid of the older one...I had problems with both on my machine at the same time...on both Mac and PC...

If this does not work...or you might want to try this first...you might have some bad extensions....you may need to rebuild this file...

Good luck....Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Jesse...did any thing help with this...?? I am running OS 10.5.8...I noticed jeff is running 10.4...what are you running Jesse...??

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Jesse

I think your problem has to do with the camera raw preference settings in Photoshop. If you have elected to store the modified settings in sidecar (.XMP) files then what happens is that photoshop keeps a separate file with the modified metadata in it for each .X3F file. You can see this using file browser on the picture libraries. What I suspect is happening is that when you modify the image using sigma Photopro, photopro writes the new settings to the .X3F file metadata section but knows nothing about the .XMP file. Then when you re-open the file in photoshop, photoshop notices that the .XMP file settings no longer match the .X3F file metadata and the error is generated.

It won't affect the actual image, but you will lose either the last photoshop changes or the photopro changes depending on which metadata source Photoshop chooses to treat as corrupted.

The fix is to modify the preferences in photoshop so it doesn't use the .xmp files to store metadata.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to shed some light on this. Your explanation makes a lot of sense, but it didn't seem to solve the problem. I can't find any Raw preferences in CS3, so there doesn't seem to be a way to change anything there.

In CS5, there is a special page of Raw preferences where one finds a couple of options that mention sidecar .xmp files. I tried various combinations of toggling them on and off, but nothing changed.

While I was there, however, I did find another Photoshop Raw preference that did make a difference: I changed the "TIFF Handling" setting from

"Automatically Open TIFFs with Settings"

to

"Automatically Open All Supported TIFFs."

I no longer get the 'Damaged Data" alert box, BUT the TIFF opens in the PS Camera Raw utility. Why is that? Anyway, that means I'm still unable to run batch processes on the TIFFs.

Has anyone else solved this yet?

Jesse

Hi Jesse

You need to turn off the support for TIFF and JPG files in the camera raw settings - this is what is forcing photoshop to open them in camera raw. You'll find this as an option where you changed the setting to "automatically open all supported TIFFs"

The option to open TIFF's and JPG's is provided to allow you to make changes to these files without altering the original image data - much as what is happening with a RAW file format. However as these file formats do not have a section to hold metadata for exposure, white balance etc, Photoshop has to hold this data externally in the .xmp files

There really is no advantage in this for TIFF's & JPG's as if you want to use photoshops full capabilities you need to save your work as a PSD documant anyway.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks again for your tip. Unfortunately, when I turn off support for TIFF, then I am back to the same "damaged data" message.

Meanwhile, I've tried saving to TIFF in SPP using all of the different color spaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB, etc.) and I still get the same message when I try to open them in PS. (No problems if I save to JPG.) If I use PS Camera Raw to convert an X3F file to TIFF, I don't have any problem opening it in PS later.

I opened up an SPP-generated TIFF file in a text editor (vi) and compared it to a PS-generated TIFF (both from X3F files) and while the SPP-generated TIFF was non-ascii (illegible), the PS-generated TIFF had several lines of XML data in the clear. I assume that this is the "data" that PS perceives damaged. But then, not everyone is having this problem.

Curious.

Jesse

Hi Jesse

I've tried to duplicate the problem on my system (using SPP 4.0 and Photoshop CS4) but can't get the same message.

If you send me one of the images you're having problems with - mail it to thackraya@inet.net.au - I'll try to duplicate the problem at my end. Send the .X3f file and the .XMP file.

I'm certain the problem has to do with the photoshop settings, the problem is that there are so many possible combinations it's hard to pick the one that is the problem.

Regards

Andrew

Back