DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Backup plan

An excellent compromise between the RTSIII and the Aria is the RX. It's quite solidly built, has a silky-smooth shutter release (compared to my very loud and clunky 20D shutter which I HATE), great mirror d&ing, great ergonomics, and a gorgeous look.

I've owned the Aria and RTS II, and the 10D and 20D. None of these 4 bodies is anywhere near as nice as the Contax RX. If not for the fact that I am now a digital convert, the RX will be my body of choice.

Antony,

I think Marc is referring to the 1Ds MkII as the dSLR of choice, or a medium format digital back. ND is good (in it own rights) with a lot of limits comparing to today's dSLRs.

Marc is right, digital seems to be cheaper to process, but indeed it is very expensive medium. Think about the price of body (is so much more expensive than film body), you would need better & faster computer, better and larger monitor, calibrators for monitor, printer, software (Photoshop CS, & all kind of fancy plug-ins), books, inks, papers, huge disk drives, CF cards. Digital is cheaper to process in the sense that you can shoot more with instead feedback and able to throw away a lot of junk shots. With film, one would have to think twice in many cases, which is a good think.

Films is good, and digital has its place. I definitely shoot much more with digital than film. I would consider a dSLR before I get another film body.

"Marc is right, digital seems to be cheaper to process, but indeed it is very expensive medium. Think about the price of body (is so much more expensive than film body), you would need better & faster computer, better and larger monitor, calibrators for monitor, printer, software (Photoshop CS, & all kind of fancy plug-ins), books, inks, papers, huge disk drives, CF cards."

Albert - my temptation is that I already have all of the above except the camera! Although I am not a pro-photographer, digital imagery is my business... hence my temptation. All of the pro's that i deal with have dSLRs and medium format with digi-backs, and I often look on and my gadget mode goes into overdrive! I think the issue here for me is that - gadget lust. My academic side is telling me to buy a film body and continue to struggle and learn the "old fashioned" way...

Ant

just read this post about the AP article on Kyocera from Dirk...

"Repair'service will be available for at least 10 years - depending on the age of the model obviously"

...maybe my paniced argument is moot.

uhoh.gif
who knows!?

Antony,

I thought it might help for your to see an ex&le from the Zeiss/20D setup, in case you're still contemplating.
This is the left hand of 4 shots taken for a panoramic at the weekend, using my 21mm Distagon.
Below is a 100% crop to show you the detail the 20D can capture.

Not quite 1DSMKII standards maybe (but £4K cheaper), but in many circumstances it's as good as most film.
Bear in mind this is a reduced jpg and full quality is of course a little better.

330148.jpg

330149.jpg

"How I wish I could get a 21mm Distagon"

Probably as much as I wish I could justify £5,300 for a 1DSMKII
wink.gif

I know what you mean though, I got a mint used 21mm about 18 months ago and I've not seen another advertised in the UK since!
Of course on the 20D it becomes a 33mm, but it still gives a great perspective. But full frame...
proud.gif

Back