DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summilux 35 f14 ASPH filter thread

E

edwardvh

Hello,
I just bought a B+W filter (Sneider optics Germany) for my Summilux 35mm f1.4 ASPH. When I review the Leica website it only states the lens takes E46 screw in filters. So I ordered a size 46 B+W filter. The B+W website states there size 46 filter has a x.75 thread. Can I safely screw in the filter with this thread on to my Leica lens ?
Thanks. Edward.

Hi Edward!
I have the same lens and I bought the same fiter. It fits without problem. I don't use it much because the less you add the more Leica sharpness you get.

Thanks Vinicio,
In that case .75 must be the proper thread.
Best regards, Edward.

If I'm not mistaken, I beieve the second measurement refers to the thickness of the ring, for those concerned with vignetting.

Oh, okay. I thought that meant the filter threat. Glad that's not a problem than. Just checking before damaging an expensive lens by screwing in a filter.
Thanks again, Edward.

The x.75 refers to the thread pitch. Thickness of the filters are never stated (at least not by B+W) All Leica lens' filter threads are x.75. This does not hold true for all Leitz lenses though.
Colin

So, all Leica lenses have x.75 thread pitch incl. my summilux 1.4 asph (new model) ?

OK...I was mistaken, and have learned about thread pitch (Thanks Colin). If you'd like to read more on it, go to:
http://www.skgrimes.com/adapter/measure.htm
However, this isn't necessary. You won't harm your lens if your carefull and just turn very gently, stopping immediately if you encounter resistance. I doubt you will have any problem ...I have the same lens and filter and it fits fine.

The reason I started this topic was that I had a bit of a problem scewing in the filter. Thanks Vinicio and Colin for the input you both provided. The following might be a good tip for anyone using filters; I lubricated the thread of the filter with a bit of oil, now the filter rotates in very smoothly.

I have the same problem with my filter it does not screw on properly. Which oil would be good for lubricating the thread so that it does not damage the filter or the lens. Thanks in advance.

Alexandre.

Back