DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Snowy Egret Feeding Time

Blufftonian

SD_DSC9262.jpg
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D500
  • 200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • Other
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 720

Gret shot. I find all white birds difficult to expose correctly without blowing out highlights.
Yes, me too. Especially if they’re against very dark backgrounds.

I usually dial in some underexposure, and I only shoot in RAW, but most of any success I get is probably more to do with my D500 camera and LightRoom rather than me.

It seems that although Blufftonian and I are geographically separated (he's on the coast of SC and I'm in SE FL), we are generally shooting in the same environments as our subjects are the same. However, I think we differ in that Blufftonian knows a lot more about the birds we shoot than I do. I have to say I'm not a birder, but definitely enjoy being able to photograph them at their various stages of life. The shot of the feeding egret really shows just how aggressive the feeding egret young can be. And, now here's a young great white egret that is out of the nest, but still looks up anxiously to be fed.

P1250884_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-FZ1000
  • 146.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 125

Nice shot!

I‘m certainly no expert birder and actually I’m not crazy about the term as it often implies a competitive endevour. I’ve just always been interested in both bird watching and photography and I think my interest in both has increased since I retired a few years ago.

I was also once an avid fly fisherman, although mostly in fresh water, and I still have my tying vice and tools and half a dozen or so Orvis, T&T, Leonard, Hardy, etc. rods. There are not so many trout here in the South Carolina Lowcountry though!

Nice shot!

I‘m certainly no expert birder and actually I’m not crazy about the term as it often implies a competitive endevour. I’ve just always been interested in both bird watching and photography and I think my interest in both has increased since I retired a few years ago.

I was also once an avid fly fisherman, although mostly in fresh water, and I still have my tying vice and tools and half a dozen or so Orvis, T&T, Leonard, Hardy, etc. rods. There are not so many trout here in the South Carolina Lowcountry though!
Hey Blufftonian, we have friends in Bluffton who live in the Delray community. Anyway, I fly fish wherever there is water, fresh or salt, but have only done trout once or twice in over 35 years. Do a lot of large mouth bass in my area and also off to Andros for bones. I could be wrong, but aren't red fish an item in your neck of the woods? Since my retirement, I certainty have gotten into photography (but second to my fishing) and am lucky enough to have a nearby water reserve that attracts many different bird species and snakes and alligators. I find I can't go wrong with animal photography. BTW, at this point in time, I'm not into any competitive endeavors, either.

Del Webb?

We have friends who live in one of them.

Back