Shooting with a WLF

Discussion in 'Why Medium Format' started by curmudgeon, Sep 27, 2011.

1. curmudgeon

curmudgeon Active Member

My first camera almost 60 years ago was a 127 Brownie. I moved on from there to a 35mm RF, then a MF TLR, then a 35mm SLR and eventually to a digital P&S. When I returned to film several years ago I went through a lot of my old B&W negatives and found that the MF ones are my favorites. What I like most about them is the square format which seems to fit the way I see things and the lower point of view of a WLF, particularly for photos of people like this one from about 1966. To me it seems less intrusive than the higher point of view of a RF or SLR.

--Doug

Attached Files:

• wsp.jpg
      wsp.jpg
      File size:
      264.8 KB
      Views:
    • wsp.jpg
      wsp.jpg
      File size:
      264.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Fliger747

Fliger747 Well-Known Member

True, unless you are shooting children or midgets, you are not sticking it in their face!

BTW, the new eye phone is a square format for photos!

Cheers: t

3. HassyLover

HassyLover Member

I still have the WLF for my Hassy but I have not used it in years, I much prefer the eye level finder, especially because it makes critical focusing a lot easier for me. I have a microprism/split image screen for mine and I love using it over the traditional ground glass screen.

I have both 6x6 and 6x4.5 backs for my 500C/M and although 6x6 is certainly more convenient to use especially hand held, I still use my 6x4.5 back 80% of the time because I like getting 16 images per 120 roll instead of just 12.