DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contaflex

Just found another link for those of you who have or are interested in the Contaflex Super.

This site not only talks about the camera in considerable detail, but it has operating instructions AND diagrams.

http://fotophile.tripod.com/cameras/contaflex-Super.htm

If all goes well, I *might* be the owner of a nice Contaflex Super in a few days.

Enjoy, Lynn L. PS: I'll cease posting to the list for a while since I've been over-posting lately.

Luis I want to thank you for stimulating this thread on the Contaflex B. I happen to have one for 3 yrs. and its has been outstanding. Needless to say I've been looking for a manual all this time. Your friend Lynn offered a site link which gave me what I had been looking for. Believe it or not my family is from Asturias, via Oviedo to a little village on the coast called Soto de Luina which as you may know is right by Cudillero. Take some pictures of those areas so your readers can marvel at its beauty and the quality of Zeiss lenses. Saludos from New Orleans, Manuel M. de la Rua.

Ms. Lynn I would like to thank you for posting the link which provided me with the Contaflex manual I had been looking for so long. Wishing you many wonderfull fotos with your camera, Manuel in New Orleans,LA,USA

You're very welcome Manuel, and thank you for the kind wishes. -Lynn

Hi Manuel,

>>> Luis I want to thank you for stimulating this thread on the Contaflex B. I happen to have one for 3 yrs. and its has been outstanding. Needless to say I've been looking for a manual all this time. Your friend Lynn offered a site link which gave me what I had been looking for. Believe it or not my family is from Asturias, via Oviedo to a little village on the coast called Soto de Luina which as you may know is right by Cudillero. Take some pictures of those areas so your readers can marvel at its beauty and the quality of Zeiss lenses. Saludos from New Orleans, Manuel M. de la Rua. >>>

It's a real pleasure for me to speak about one of the finest reflex cameras ever made. Although not immediately, I will try to load two rolls of XP2 in the Contaflex and then go from "Cudillero" to "Luarca". Incredible places where, stangely, I have never taken a picture with the Zeiss-Ikon cameras. Before the end of this summer the pictures will be done!
happy.gif

Cheers, Luis Argüelles

Thanks for all the info.

There is also a 135mm f4 lens that few seem to be aware of. I've even got a picture of it on a Super BC.

KEH.com has one in excellent condition for only $23 US.

It will probably be awhile before I purchase another camera.

What do you think about the Contarex?

Any experience with it? Should we start a thread on it?

George, I'm not expert on the Contaflex models by any stretch of the imagination, but I *think* I read that the 135/f4 is strictly for the one-and-only 126 film version of the Contaflex, not the 35mm versions. If someone knows more about this, I don't mind being corrected.

As for starting a Contarex thread ... that sounds like a very good idea with only one problem for me. I'll want to buy one. ;) That wasn't such a problem with the Contaflex at their bargain prices, however, the Contarex is considerably more dear (in price).

-Lynn

I received my Contaflex Super B today but have been thwarted in using it. While those of the Age of Plastic praise the Contaflex for its solid (and stolid) quality, Zeiss apparently took a page from the Zorki 4K with the same disastrous results. Many of the scales on the lens barrel (including the manual f-stops and the aperture priority f-stop scale) are printed not engraved. Mine arrived worn clean so it is impossible to set f-stops. As the meter isn't working the camera is not useable. So now in addition to checking for a sticking diaphragm you have to check all numerals printed on the controls. Say it isn't so

Michael, I hope some of the others respond to your post here. I don't have my Super in my hands yet, but the seller did provide detailed photos of all sides angles of the camera I just bought. Did the photos you were given of the camera before you purchased show any or all of the scales on the lens barrel? The seller should have provided good pictures (I assume you bought at a distance? like on Ebay?) I just looked at the photos of mine and all are on there clear as a bell.

Did the seller tell you the meter was working?

Did they tell you that it was a fully functioning working camera?

If they did say yes to either or both of these questions but the camera doesn't behave as promised, tell them you want a refund. Even if they did not say yes to these things before the sale, tell them you are disappointed in the sale and want to know how the situation can be corrected.

On a side note, I know the Super has the selenium cell meter, which I would guess doesn't have a lot of life left if any. Your Super B was the first to edge away from the Selenium meter if I am correct, and it takes a battery in a very difficult to access little spot on the front of the camera. Could the battery need changing?

I'm a new Contaflex-ian... mine isn't in my hands yet, but I'm trying to help. Hope these aren't stupid suggestions. If I can help in any way please let me know. I hope the others who are more experienced with the Contaflex Super B will chime in.

Best, Lynn

Hi Lynn,

The Super B is selenium and not much can be expected (albeit I have a pre-war Weston meter still going strong). I didn't think to check the photos for missing inscriptions (who knew?). Like most eBay sellers he knew nothing about cameras. Like most eBay sellers he promptly offered a refund - so there was only a half day turn

Back