DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Confused about changing monitor calibrated profiles?

flycaster

OK, I'm thoroughly confused about how to use my installed calibrated monitor profiles on my Windows 11 (latest version,) and need help.
I have made several calibration (i1Display Studio) profiles for different times of the day, and they reside in windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. I have been trying different ways to set the wanted profile (my calibrated profiles and not the PC's monitor profile) as the monitor's default profile. So, I guess what I am saying is that starting from where the profiles reside:
1. How do I get my calibrated profiles to where I can efficiently change between them?
2. What's the process to quickly change profiles?
3. How do I make sure that PC doesn't have an over-riding profile; e.g., the computer allows me to use my profiles instead of its monitor profile?

Thanks.

One other question:
4. How does Windows 11's Auto Color Management come into play, if at all, when using custom profiles?

OK, I'm thoroughly confused about how to use my installed calibrated monitor profiles on my Windows 11 (latest version,) and need help.
I have made several calibration (i1Display Studio) profiles for different times of the day, and they reside in windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. I have been trying different ways to set the wanted profile (my calibrated profiles and not the PC's monitor profile) as the monitor's default profile. So, I guess what I am saying is that starting from where the profiles reside:
1. How do I get my calibrated profiles to where I can efficiently change between them?
2. What's the process to quickly change profiles?
3. How do I make sure that PC doesn't have an over-riding profile; e.g., the computer allows me to use my profiles instead of its monitor profile?

Thanks.
Try this:
Go to Control Panel, Color Management and "Add..." your new profiles. Whichever profile is set to Default should be the one that's in control.
or for 11:
System, Display, Advanced Display, Display Adapter properties, Color Management tab.

Auto Color Management is, as far as I know, still only available in some Insider builds, but I no longer have an Insider boot drive. See:

Corrections welcome.

Thanks, Austinian. That does answer my question about getting to CM, but not as quick a process as I'd like. Here's the best I could come up with for "quickly" getting to CM to make profile changes.
I made a desktop shortcut of CM. I would have liked to been able to set the shortcut onto the taskbar, but to do this I would have to establish a quick launch bar...which at the moment, I don't feel like doing.

Think I just came upon my solution re: Color Management onto Taskbar. Again, I want the ability to quickly change between my 3rd party calibrated profiles. And, to do that, I need to go through the taskbar.
Go to Other Alternatives on this site (How To Install An ICC Profile On Windows 10 [Simple Guide]) and download http://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/d/displayprofile-freeware-for-windows. Be sure to check “Use my setting for this device,” and to also choose your device in the Windows Color Management. Place your profiles into windows\system32\spool\divers\color, and the app will recognize them. This app works with Windows 11 and can be placed on the taskbar.
When opening from the TB, it will list all your profiles with the current one being highlighted. Simply select another one as desired. 3 clicks: Open app, select new profile,close app.

Back