DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Leica/ Leitz at all?

The images. The images. The images
32343.jpg

Hi Marc,

very nice, except for the two trunks growing out of the brides head ;-)

Till, Such is the nature of candid work. The split second expressions take precedence over other considerations. I shot a series of three which also included a higher angle, but you couldn't see the little
girls' face as well. Had I moved to the right the Bride's face would've covered the girls. Besides, the veil helps seperate the background a bit. Had the trees been growing directly out of her head, I probably would not have printed this image.

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but figured this would be the best. I don't have a Leica yet. I have been studying and saving to buy an M6 (TTL or Classic) Black. My father got me interested in photography years ago, but we always had Nikons. He has two Nikormat FT2s that he's used forever. When I started in about Leicas he said he didn't know anything about them. Then last night, after several months of this, he pulled out a stack of 1948-1958 Leica Photographie. I was amazed. I had been considering a subscription, and after looking through them all night long I think I will. The information is great. I wonder how much the magazine has changed in the past fifty years. They were very well written. Some of the ads are rather funny as well. Some have $0.25 on the covers. In one it has a subscription notice for $5.00 a year. The photography is impressive. Everything is very consistant. The strange thing is reading the article on the "brand new" M3 and the ad for the "new" IIIg is making me want an M3 and IIIg.
happy.gif

Have a great day.

John

John,

Start with an M3 and worry about an M6 later.

Once you have an M3 you will never part with it, even if in later years you add more modern little brothers.

Take it from someone who has spent a lot of time and money trying them all.

Best of luck for a most enjoyable Leica future.

Sincerely,

Justin

I can't define why I stick with my M2.
I started in about 1977 with a Zenith TTL; rapidly ditched it when the Olympus OM10 came out. Liked the Zuiko prime lenses and went into OM1s and 2s - and a friend suggested I bought an "old" Leica. I bought a beautiful IIIc with 50mm 3.5 Elmar. Loved it. Ditched the OMs. Bought a Nikon F2A to shoot long lenses with alongside the shorter Leica lenses. Had a couple of IIIfs and a variety of screw lenses. By 1982 I had an M3, M2, M4-P and a collection of Leitz lenses.
Got married in 1986, ditched the M3 and the M4-P and a couple of the lenses for economic reasons ( and bought a new kitchen, a washing machine and a tandem with the proceeds).
Now I run the original M2 and four lenses (one of them Voigtlander and the other Canon); a motordriven Nikon FA for long lens work; a black and brass Pentax MX if I'm travelling light(er) and want a 135 alongside the Leica; and a Ricoh GR1s if I just want a pocket camera. What percentage of the time do I use the Leica? 85%.
It's almost as if looking through any other viewfinder after the Leica is a let down. And hearing any other shutter is a shock. And trying to focus the FA (good screen though it is) or the MX in the gloom is a chore. But not the Leica.

[Justin, I wonder what will be the advantage of M2 comparing with M6 (classic 0.72). I suppose M6 has a meter in it while M2 does not. BTW, what are the most 2 or 3 useful lenses in your system? Thanks]

Dear Yang Yang,

The essence of range-finder photography is sponteneity and therefore the exposure must be preset. To do so I prefer a hand held meter.

My favourite lenses are order are the 90mm Summicron (1960-1979) then the 35 Summicron (8 element) then the 50mm dual-range Summicron.

I have a lot of more modern lenses, however I consider the above three to be irreplaceable classics.

Sincerely,

Justin

Back