DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

contax aria trouble

gillou

Hi,
sometimes the camera is blocked when i press the shutter. the shutter curtain still opened. only way to solve this problem is to maintain the main button ON and take away batteries and replace it. batteries life is correct, i do not know what is the problem with my aria. :(

Hi,
sometimes the camera is blocked when i press the shutter. the shutter curtain still opened. only way to solve this problem is to maintain the main button ON and take away batteries and replace it. batteries life is correct, i do not know what is the problem with my aria. :(
I am sorry I have only just seen your message - I hope your Aria is working again. If not, it sounds as if you may have one of two problems... The most likely, and easy to sort out, is that you have a slipped mirror; several Contax and Yashica cameras have this problem as the glue that keeps the mirror in place melts slightly (such as when the camera is left for a time in direct sunlight or near any heat source) and the mirror can slip forwards a millimetre or two. The mirror then locks as it touches the rear of the lens and the shutter can't complete it's cycle without resetting the camera - the solution is to use a hair-dyer (carefully!) to soften the glue and then push the mirror back into place and then leave the camera in such a way that the mirror is horizontal and in a cool pace for it to stabilise. The other possibility is that a capacitor is not charging fully to allow the cycle to complete; this could be a capacitor failure or something like a break in solder. This will require a professional repair. If you are in Europe, you can try www.contaxrepairs.com: I have used the company to repair two ST's and my RTSIII and the quality of work is excellent.

Hi, thank you for your reply. the issue do not occured for several monthes. i think the issue occure more in winter than when the temperatures are higher. thanks for the repaire company name.

my contax aria issues are becoming worse now..

is there a possibility to reset the camera ? maybe it would solve the problem.

Hello gillou,
I'm sorry to hear that things are worse. As far as I know, the Aria does not possess a reset facility; it's possible that there is a hidden menu for engineers via the Custom Functions set-up but I've not heard of it. Only the 167MT had a reset button although it needed the hidden internal battery to be working so almost all 167s currently being used won't be reset as those batteries had a life of around 7-10 years.

I suppose it could be a problem with something triggering the Microcomputer Protection Circuit for which the solution is to switch off the camera, remove and then replace the batteries and switch it back on which resets the circuit; it would be maddening to have to do this with every shot! I'm sorry but I think now is the time to get advice from the camera repairer I mentioned previously. Good luck as the Aria is a lovely little camera; please keep us posted on how things develop...

Back