DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Ever Ready Case for Contax RX Body

G

I just purchased an RX and was happy to discover that Contax makes a leather ever ready case specially designed to fit the RX. I was less happy to discover that the case costs $98 US (I am in Canada). I am still considering getting the case but wanted to hear some feedback first. What the build quality and design of the case like? Is it like a traditional ever readycase with two parts? Does the case mount to the camera via the tripod mount? and besides the obvious, what, if any other features does the case offer? I noticed on another thread that the Aria case has a space to store spare batteries for ex&le.

Lastly, I am wondering if there are any third party ever ready cases that my RX would fit in or will the RX fit in the less expensive Aria case?

Thanks a lot I would appreciate any and all comments.

Signed,

Chris
Toronto Ont.

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you've got the RX sussed and are enjoying it.

About Contax ever-ready cases: years ago, I thought they made splendid ever-ready cases. My local dealer assured me that the current stock in this part of the world are for Contax flex-type cases. Most are designed C-2, C-3,C-4 etc and are soft cases, designed for the more 'modern' Contax users with a zoom lens. Contax don't appear to make a tight nor rigid fitting ever-ready case to support the SLR and standard lens - it sounds like you were looking for a dedicated ever-ready case, which can be worn on the camera, or at least half-dressed on the camera at times. The prices here are similarly expensive for the flex-style cases (except with British bargain value reeling in at around 55-85 sterling!) These look like vinyl printed leather (no authentic designation on the case) and are not particularly handsome by Contax standards. Even with the Contax label on the case, it looks cheap. (The dealer himself wasn't too impressed with the case either, but then he trades Leicas).

The Contax flex-type case has a huge mouth to cram the lens head-in before gaping to swallow the camera body and close its lips on the back of the camera. The snout - yes - the allusions to a particular animal - is zippable on demand, should you need to fit a longer zoom. These snouts are measured in centimetres such that its possible to estimate which lenses will fit in the case. As a result, carrying this should ensure you are arrested by the fashion police.

I didn't find the dedicated ever-ready flex cases particularly traditional nor functional. The thickness of the material seems around 3mm (at best) and is easily rolled for storage however isn't overwhelmingly shock-absorbant. The print appears to mimick cow leather, however the repetitions in the patterns make me wonder if the print was scanned in by a poor quality digital, and reproduced en masse?

The fit for your camera will not be tight-fitting either; there will be loose baggage within the camera case, so it may be possible to cram a spare set of batteries, a shaver, a bingo card, or even a sandwich without the mayonnaise depending on the size of the snout. The ex&le I looked at didn't have a built-in tripod hole either...you could cut one...

Tarzan (the lord of the Contax jungle) in my local dealer told me that the subtle differences in Contax SLR precludes other cameras fitting well into another case, however the 167MT case (which I think is still available) doesn't share the same design as the flex-cases and is less offensive to the eye. The Aria case won't fit the RX well or at all......small is very beautiful.

There are the standard independents which you'll be able to scout around and others will have more experience than I on this (and many other matters) no doubt. I thought the Contax flex-type case compared favourably (excepting price) with other designs. Still I thought I might share my pleasure from using the north-American neoprene Zing (is Canada part of North America - excuse my ignorance, but I'm British?. The design is ultramodern and built from shock-absorbant 5mm neoprene. It comes in 3 sizes. The standard should fit the RX. The fit is very close, and built in one piece, with a flap which covers either a standard lens (or a different bag to cover a zoom) without any hard-bits to knock or scratch your camera against. It also costs a fraction of the flex-type, and can be strapped on juxtaposed to the body to d&en rebound vibration when bolting for the next train or bus etc.

Alternatively, if you've not been sold by any of the independents nor Contax, you could go to a saddler. English saddlers still make camera bags, however its a dying art, and most complain they don't cut even for the amount of hard work that goes in to customising a one-off camera bag. Clearly there's a market for the rest of the cow!

I hope that helps.

Joe99

Hi Joe99

I found the Zing product line on B&H's website and am really intrigued- thanks a lot for mentioning them. Do you know for certain if the RX will fit inside the standard size Zing neoprene SLR cover? I only have a 50mm lens at the moment so that is not a concern. Let me know.

Signed,

Chris

Chris,
I have just purchased a C3 case for my S2. I have to say that the uselessness of the design has impressed me. It has to be one of the most bizarre things I have ever purchased in my life.
It is far from being an every ready case, never ready is definately closer to the mark and even that is an understatement. You have to undo two zips (fiddly) and undo some velco (noisy) to get teh camera out, you are then left with a case unattached to anything to hold, drop, (enter your suggestions, polite!, here) whilst you take a photo. This seems to get in the way of taking photos to me. The idea of the third zip to expand the snout is handy. It is just a shade that no one thought to make the snout fat enough to take a lens with its rubber hood on.
I quite like the camera care system pouches for SLR's the downside is that they are big, and have 'I contain an expensive camera' image that is not too good for theives. I love them for their ability to stand up to the elements. I have used mine in the artic, the tropics and an English Summers day (4 seasons in a day washed down by extra torrential rain) My cameras have always been well protected though.
I have an agine minolta in it's ever ready case and the case there manages to protect the camera and not detract from the photographic experience.

Just my thoughts. But if practicality and speed of access are important to you then definately try before you but.
Regards
David

Hi

Do I know for certain if the RX will fit inside the standard size Zing neoprene SLR cover?

Chris, I feel like a fraud. I don't own an RX so I can't say for certain. But as Aristophanes or someone used to say: "what is certain?"

I'm not sure. The 'Zing standard' fits the Aria (as does the Multi-Strap Camera/Accessory Bag or medium lens case if you really push it). To be safe, I'd hedge bets on the RX fitting the Zing Large Action Cover (this is the one with the removable elastic waist strap, and the retainer to dangle the case from the camera. The RTSIII fits the 'Zing Pro' very well, hence the RX, being 167MT sized, would fit the 'Zing Large' (intermediate of the 3 sizes, according to the British Zing distributors. This would be a better than either 2. The RX may fit the standard, however will stretch the neoprene, which leaves less for shock-absorption, so middle one it is then. David's points about the C_2/3 case are very helpful. The S2 is lovely and small too, that would fit well beside the Aria. David's point about speed of access with an ever-ready case is very relevant; my slr holster usually sits upside down in the back of a rucksack, which takes at least 40 seconds to take out and (zip up the bags).

The Zing case hybridizes well with a Black Diamond mountaineering strap (which supports my own bodyweight if I'm ever in need of an emergency wrench!) and slings well. I configure it so that it hides slung across the shoulder under my jacket. It protrudes a little, but it travels well.

Joe99

Hi sorry to bring this up again but I just had one more question about ever ready cases. I was just looking at a listing on eBay for an RTS III and was thinking to myself that the body of the RTS III looks very similar in shape to the RX. Then a couple of minutes later I came across a RTS III ever ready case in brand new condition with a buy now option of 37 dollars! Do you think this case might fit my RX? It is a really fantastic deal. B & H lists an ever ready case for the RTS III at 150+ USD.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Chris
Ontario Canada

Hey Chris,

THe RTSIII has a width of around 15cm and a height around 12cm minimum. Without a lens, it is around 5.5cm thick (My measurements are not Carl Zeiss accuracy). I thought the RXII looked remarkably like the RX. But then, so does the ST? Have you seen an RTSIII in the flesh? It makes the RX look and feel like a half-pint.
The case will fit like a baggy overcoat.

Alternatively, you may get away with trying the Contax G2 case - GC21 or something if you size up the external dimensions of the RX. Perhaps try posting on the G-series list?

Joe Tweed

Back