DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Preview Polaroid Camera

G

Hi Folks,

Does anyone recall or have experience with the Preview or Preview II Contax Cameras which stopped production around 1986 ?

I myself am getting into more professional work and need a good polaroid system for my Aria and TLR. My alternatives are as follows:

1) Buy a used Contax Preview for about $600 and
use my existing MM lenses. The disadvantages
are that I only get a single shot per film
and that I have no TTL control for flash.

2) Buy a used 167MT and an NPC back, possibly
totalling around $1000. With this, you get
two shots per roll and can maintain all
AE modes plus TTL Flash ( assuming the TLA
360 works well with the 167MT )

3) Buy a use Nikon F3 with NPC Polaroid back.
This of course involves a new camera system.

Does anyone have experience with the Preview series or using Contax main bodies in this way ? or am I pushing 35mm into what a real interchangeable back medium Format system should be doing for me ?

Thanks,

Alan in Indianapolis

you are a candidate for the rollei 3000-system. interchangable backs, zeiss-lenses, smalll body, two viewers, ttl-flash. what do you need more? i am reflecting about buying it.

what is the difference between preview and preview II? i know that the body is a yashica fx-3. keep in mind: the angle-viewer is different from the standard one because there is no prism-system. i would forget the preview and use a polaroid 180 or 195 instead. there is a company who has rebuilt one of them. it a better choice to check. i did never understand why photographers use such polaroid-testshots. testing the lighting ok, but how people look? if i check such perfect shots i only see unnatural models. shooting is the best way the models look natural. and not fumbling around with technology.

>rollei 3000-system - i am reflecting about buying it.<

Good luck if you buy it. I really like that camera. I hear they may not be that reliable. Anyone use one for a while?

Jeff,
I bought one of the last new Rolleiflex 3003 cameras in the early 1990s. I had a few older lenses (Zeiss, partly made by Rollei), which I loved to use (the quality is quite similar to the Contax MF-line). But although the camera was a pleasure to use, I had trouble with one of the exchangeable backs (it did not always transport the film, so I got - unvoluntarily - multiple exposures). In spite of a check by an authorised service repairshop, who found the magazine functioning "in normal parameters", it did not work with my camera. In the end, I sold the whole system in favour of Contax gear. Although the same lenses for Contax are much more expensive than their Rollei counterparts, I felt I could not afford unreliable material. It's a pity, because in theory the 3003-system was simply ingenious.

contax 137ma has a similar mistake. i had double or halfway-doubleexposures shooting aerials. every second year the end of film-stop did not work. any camera can have problems. if it is not solved by repair or exchange then you have the wrong system. but changing the system if a back does not work on a camera is very strange.do you thing rollei invested so much time and money to produce crap? lens-quality is the same not similar! i have tested a rollei sx(6x6 motordriven). fantastic 80mm-lens! you need not test older lenses against newer contax-zeiss. the old quality -if there are differences-is still beyond the range of todays film-resolution. and: if you test: use rts III. all other options will not produce 100% comparison due to the lacking vaccum-system. and finally: stop this silly comparisomn of zeiss against other brands. buy used non-mm-lenses, they are cheap.

Re: what's the difference between Preview I and II.

Preview I :1982
Type A - Chrome back,1/1000s fastest speed, 1/125s flash sync.
Type B - Black back, 1/1000s fastest speed, 1/125s flash sync.

Preview II :1995
1/4000s fastest speed, 1/250s flash sync.

Preview I Chrome
96493.jpg

Preview I Black
96494.jpg

Preview II
96495.jpg

Cheers, Bob.

Rumours say that it could be the S2. Makes sense, Preview I - mechanical FX-3? Preview II- mechanical S2?

Specs look right! But I don't know for sure!

Cheers, Bob.

Quick question: Using the Preview cameras...is the image reversed left-to-right on the polaroid film ?

Thanks,

Alan

Back