DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New SD10 Owner

Gumdrop

Hi everyone-
I'm a 35mm dinosaur of many years' standing, converted to digital about 4 years ago.
Progressed through compact and bridge models to the recently acquired SD10, purchased on three main grounds -
- Foveon sensor
- simple, no-nonsense controls, like a real camera!
- looking at images from tests, reviews, etc., I suddenly thought to myself - those pictures look like...well, they don't somehow look like a lot of digital images do...in fact, they look like...well,rather like film...

I'm looking forward to learning how to get the best out of this camera, hence here I am!

My experience with image processing so far has been with Google's free Picasa software, which does most things I want in a straightforward way, and I've been using Sigma's SPP to do basic corrections, then converting files to jpeg and importing them to Picasa.
Any suggestions for alternative image procesing would be most welcome.

I'll post again soon, hopefully with a few pictures!

Gumdrop....Nice to meet your acquaintance...

I use Nikon's NX2 to touch-up a lot of the pictures after using SPP and converting to JPG....PS4 is good...but a lot of people like Lightroom...have not spent the money for it...I use Mac's Aperture....

But I would say 90% of the time....

SPP - to edit the RAW - then change to JPG
NX2 - further play with the the JPG....and done...

Happy Shooting...

Tony C.

file conversion

Hi there
I use spp to view/modify foveon image. If OK I print direct from SPP but if I want to save the modified image for futher/future work with,say, Adobe CS3/4, I always use tiff file format to avoid any compression artifacts etc that you can get with Jpegs.
good luck with your progress.

Hi Gundrop, Welcome!.

I also own a SD10 (imaging kit) and was using the same tools you mention, but recently I found Lightroom a wise alternative to Picasa. What I do fist is to convert the X3F files into DNG files (the Adobe standard for raw storage) with the Adobe DNG converte and then I process them with Lightroom that provides a lot more tools and control that Picasa does.

Looking forward to see your samples.

Regards.
Jes.

Back