DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Photoshop's Generative Fill Beta

Schrodingers cat

Just loaded the new Beta Photoshop, which includes Adobe's version of using AI cloud computing to generate artificial photographs. In my case I tried it out replacing the background in a photograph of a couple of people.

If I was careful to select the sort of background generated and specify the correct lighting direction to match the subject, the results were in a couple of cases surprisingly believable. Still had outline selection issues and didn't necessarily match the lighting/tonality of the subject, but all in all I guess a credible start.

There is an upper limit, which I think is around 36 or so, to the number of images the Beta will allow you to create, so there's not really time to learn the rules.

Significant restrictions on the type of wording that is allowed in the description. For. instance I requested a background showing the two people standing in front of a drag strip race. The AI didn't like either the term "drag" or the term "strip" or apparently the concept of "race". It won't accept people's names. Reminded me of some sort of program I saw years back that insisted on editing the name of the actor Dick Van Dike to read Richard van Gay :)

I requested a background featuring The Rolling Stones on stage. On the first attempt it gave me a bunch of large rocks rolling down a hill :) Refining my wording a bit i got a result, but the AI created people appeared to have been finger painted by a 3 year old.

A request for the couple standing in the audience at the Woodstock Pop Music Festival actually looked kinda realistic. Maybe I'll do one of myself and claim I was there when Donovan performed :)

At its present level of development, for my own uses I'm going to regard this feature in the same light as the Instagram filter that allows you to created distorted images of people. It may be useful for waisting large mounts of time, but at present I couldn' actually find a use for it. Perhaps other will.

Last edited:
But the Devil whoops, as he whooped of old: "It's clever, but is it Art ?"
The Conundrum of the Workshops - Rudyard Kipling

But the Devil whoops, as he whooped of old: "It's clever, but is it Art ?"
The Conundrum of the Workshops - Rudyard KipKipling
And the angel said "Should thou replace blue sky with angel clouds" and the devil replied "Do it baby do it". Then a loud voice from above says in a low tone "Be very careful my child or thou shalt not sit on a puffy white cloud, ye shalt be very black and blue"

Quote from the guy down the road.

Danny <----- no not him.

Back