DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Waterfalls and mountains and clouds, oh my!

lphilpot

I attended a small landscape workshop (two participants plus photographer) near Jasper Arkansas last week. It was nice to get into surroundings different from my everyday experience. These are a few shots from that workshop and a couple extra days I stayed in the area immediately afterward.

Cloud layers inside the “Arkansas Grand Canyon” on AR 7 south of Jasper – There was a low cloud layer in the valley and in town. On bottom, dull and grey; on top, bright and sunny.

IMG_7142-social.jpg
  • Canon - EOS Rebel T8i
  • EF70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 100

Twin Falls near Ponca, AR -- Despite the name, a massive storm several years ago rearranged Twin Falls into three streams. It's at the end of a nice short hike.

IMG_7330-social.jpg
  • Canon - EOS Rebel T8i
  • Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/5 sec
  • ISO 100

Covered Bridge Falls, Ponca, AR -- Although there's a true covered bridge directly above this shot, I thought this viewpoint was more interesting.

IMG_7393-social.jpg
  • Canon - EOS Rebel T8i
  • 19.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 400

Eden Falls in Lost Valley State Park near Ponca, AR -- This is a beautiful little waterfall, with dappled sunlight making its nearly-vertical way down into the falls. However, there's a pair of ~2m tall boulders right in front of the falls, severely limiting the photo vantage points.

IMG_7585-social.jpg
  • Canon - EOS Rebel T8i
  • 36.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 100

Tougher than me! -- This tree is watching over Sam's Throne, AR.

IMG_7847-social.jpg

My wife and I went back to Arkansas (again!) last weekend, both to get away for the US holiday weekend and also to spend a little time with my sister and her husband. This was a different part of the state, in the Ouachita Mountains (pronounced "Wash-i-taw" for you non-hillbillies :cool:) on the central western edge of Arkansas. Whereas the Ozark Mountains (my previous location) are more of "hill hill hill hill" everywhere you look -- kinda like highly magnified leather -- the Ouachitas tend to be slightly larger and run more in ranges. I was able to take a few shots, nothing earth-shattering. But I had only one evening after dinner and one morning, starting well after sunrise. All were shot with my Canon T8i / 850D and either a Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro or a Canon EF 70-200L f/4 USM. They were processed with ART 1.20 and Affinity Photo 2.1.

First, a quick sunset as the sun sets over the Kiamichi Range in eastern Oklahoma, taken from (the appropriately-named) Sunset Vista on the Talimena Scenic Drive. A stack of three bracketed shots.

IMG_8449-IMG_8451-stack-social.jpg

I visited the Little Missouri Falls about 45 miles from where we were staying at the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge atop Rich Mountain. Naturally I forgot my rubber boots at home so I was a little limited on viewpoint …unless I wanted to totally soak my feet / socks / shoes / jeans, which I didn’t (other activities were planned for the afternoon).

Down in the steep narrow valley where the falls live, the bright sunshine of this clear-sky day had yet to reach the bottom.

IMG_8515-social.jpg

Higher up the cascade the sun was starting to encroach as it continued to rise.

IMG_8534-social.jpg
  • Canon - EOS Rebel T8i
  • EF70-200mm f/4L USM
  • 91.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 100

Back