DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Brother can you spare a hood

On the other hand, if you use 77/86 ring with hood 5, you will get something like this.
393307.jpg

I had bad experience with using hood 4 on my 100 2. Hood 5 is heavy but it gives the lens enough protection. It is not long enough to obstruct the image forming light from entering the lens.

I have another question to all of you. What do you think will happen if I put a step down ring, say 77 to 55 on my 85 1.2 lens ? Will it vignette ?

Thanks Chi for addressing the technical issues of these hoods. I am very skeptical about using Hood #5 on the 85/1.2 when shooting wide-open. I think it may prevent flare as you say, but I also think it is too long and will introduce a higher degree of light fall-off at the edges (than with a shorter hood like #4).

However, my last post was more from a collector viewpoint. The one-piece 85/1.2 hood was introduced with the 60-year anniversary lens. It did not exist when Contax introduced the 50-year anniversary lens. So, my basic question is "what lens hood originally came with the 50-year anniversary lens?".

Many people claim it is the #4 hood, but then why is the later one-piece 85/1.2 hood smaller (like the size of the #3 hood)?

Thanks,

David}

If you understand the light travelling pathway of 85 1.2, you will know that hood 5 does not affect the 85 even when it is wide open at 1.2.

The way to assess the suitability of the hood or filter is to look at the lens wide open. The margins of each lens elements forms a straight line in the case of our 85 mm lens. No parts of hood 5 stays in the way of this line and so there is no light falling off at edges when you are using this hood.

"The way to assess the suitability of the hood or filter is to look at the lens wide open."

The way I understand from my 4x5 days is that the image circle increase when you stop down, not wide open. Am I missing something or it does not apply to 35mm format?

Chi, I am afraid you are wrong about the hood #5, but I think another thread needs to be started on that topic.

I would like to close out this thread by expressing my gratitude for a member of this forum who was kind enough to sell me his 85/1.2 Anniversary hood.

So, since this topic generated some interesting, albeit pedantic information regarding lens shading and hoods, please see my new thread on a simple study I performed this weekend.

Thanks again!

David,why are you so interested to prove that I am wrong ? Are you alright ? Even if you managed to provee that i am wrong in some way, so what ? Human acquires knowledge, they don't born with it. People do make mistakes before the right concept is acquired. Making mistakes happens in the process of acquiring knowledge. Don't be so conscious intelling who is right and wrong.

There is no absolute right and wrong in the choice of hood. Although as you say hood 5 might be blocking the light in some very minor way. The use of hood 5 could be superior in the way for the control of flare. The corner definition and indeed the definition of the image as a whole could be superior to the use of shorter hoods.
We are all in the process of acquiring knowledges during which we should all be forgiven of making mistakes.

Back