DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

A trip to China.

duckhead

On a business trip to Beijing/China (live in Sweden) earlier this year I brought my 500C/M with me. What a joy! Amazing scenery everywhere just waiting to be captured. Work went fine and during the last weekend I got some spare time. Lucky me. Here are three samples from the trip, all shot with Delta 100 and developed in D76. Scanned made from enlargements.

I bought the Hassy earlier this year and I have to admit that I love it more and more for every roll that passes through it...

View attachment 3564

View attachment 3565

View attachment 3566

Btw. My first post in this forum! Greetings to you all.

Attachments

• kina_5 (Small).jpg
    EXIF
    kina_5 (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12
  • kina_5 (Small).jpg
    EXIF
    kina_5 (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 13
Nice shots. Looks like you composed them perfectly for a square format. What lenses did you have?

Did you bring a digital camera and use it in conjunction or did you have the 500c/m exclusively? On a trip to Alaska a few years back I left the 35mm stuff behind and only brought my Hasselblad (I didn't have a digital camera; not even a point and shoot). There were times I wish I had my smaller gear, especially when we were on a boat, but the shots I got back were really nice.

On a business trip to Beijing/China (live in Sweden) earlier this year I brought my 500C/M with me. What a joy! Amazing scenery everywhere just waiting to be captured. Work went fine and during the last weekend I got some spare time. Lucky me. Here are three samples from the trip, all shot with Delta 100 and developed in D76. Scanned made from enlargements.

I bought the Hassy earlier this year and I have to admit that I love it more and more for every roll that passes through it...

View attachment 3564

View attachment 3565

View attachment 3566

Btw. My first post in this forum! Greetings to you all.

Thanks! Yes, I do love working and composing with the square format. It's very direct and I like how it has no indication of speed or movement built into it like the recangular has. But even the brightest sun has its spots, and I think that the square format has its cons in the darkroom. You waist a lot of paper keeping the square format without cropping. That's why the first China picture is not square, it is a 30x40 enlargement and I wanted to use the whole paper. Paper is ridiculously expensive now. I am picking up some 30x40 today and for 50 sheets I have to pay about $100.

My kit includes a very nice 500C/M, two A12 backs and a Planar 80 (CT*). I have replaced the original focusing screen with a split-image acutemate. Also today I am picking up a focusing handle that i hope will improve my speed a bit. I like street photography and I have had a dream of using a Hasselblad for that purpose. Now I have the gear and it has become reality, but it is not directly a point and shoot camera. :) I see it as a challenge. I will need to practise to get the speed up, learn to zone focus, skip light meter, and so on. The result when I get the shot is so rewarding!

For my trip to China I used only my 500. Sometimes I do wish I had a smal point and shoot camera (M7 *drool*) but I like MF and will stick to that for now. Yes, the Mamiya 6 or 7 would fit like a glow, but it's so darn expensive and it's not a Hasselblad. :)

Duckhead,
Congrats on your first post, it's a winner.

Beautiful series. Well composed, exposed and printed.

Dave

Back